No announcement yet.

Duct fans= solution to low flowing AC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duct fans= solution to low flowing AC?

My youngest's room is on the SE corner of the house, gets the warmest of any room we have. Most of that is due to the poor air flow from the AC vent. Part of it is due to the single pane window, but that will get addressed next month.

Short of replumbing the entire vent system, is there any merit to the inline duct fans? I presume they come w/ instructions on what to wire them in to for power/trigger on?

Thanks in advance.
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

have you checked to see if the duct itself is pinch or torn open in the attic? Personally, I wouldn't apply a band-aid such as a duct fan.

Comment

The wife had someone out to inspect, they said it wasn't leaking. Don't think it's pinched. That whole side of the house is low on flow- 3 rooms, 3 vents, all flow low.
      Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Our has has a booster fan and it helps a lot.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Check the owner's manual or wiring diagram on the air handler door. Sometimes you can rewire the blower motor to operate at a higher speed. Mine came pre-wired to run at medium speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Donkey View Post
            Check the owner's manual or wiring diagram on the air handler door. Sometimes you can rewire the blower motor to operate at a higher speed. Mine came pre-wired to run at medium speed.
            Hot diggity.

Comment

You will be amazed on how much the windows help. It might be ok with just that.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Donkey View Post
                This too...when we replaced our air handler, it had 3 different settings as well. I don't know if our older unit did though so depending on how old your's is, it's possible. By the way, if you're checking for a multi speed fan, you may not be looking for any kind of switch. I know with ours, there were 2 extra leads not being used that the fan motor could plug into.

After replacing ours, it circulates the air much better. It cycles less and has an easier time cooling the house...this is with us still using the 10 SEER outside unit. So you may look into that as well. Good luck

Comment

Thats how my room is. Poor flow. So i got a window unit in my room o cool me off. lol
                  GOPR0198 by larrychance88

Comment

Most indoor blower motors have multiple speeds. You can put a booster inline I personally dont like them as I feel they are a bandaid. But go for it and try it out
                    81 LX
                    82 GT

Comment

Good to know about the variable speeds. Our new (and the old one even) AC and air handler can not keep the west side of the house cool enough for me unless we drop the temp down to 75*. When I do that it angers my pregnant wife so I just suffer instead.

We have actually just opened oposing windows and use a small squirrel cage fan and ceilling fans to cool the house for almost a month and a half now. Feels good in here.
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Get dampers put in your main airbox, that way you can balance the system throughout the house.

Comment

Working...
                        X