New home Construction ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New home Construction ?

We are fixing to build a custom home just south of San Antonio and Im sure I will have more questions but for now its about insulation. Spray foam or batts and blown in, which is better? Is it a good idea to spray the underside of the roof in the attic? from reading other threads my question about hiring a third party inspector has been answered. Does anybody have any suggestions for inspectors or hookups on limestone in this area?

You will have all kinds of opinions on the foam. There are some issues surfacing about foaming a roof deck now. The main one is that if there's ever a leak (and it's likely there will be) it could remain undetected for a long, long time. The foam would absorb/hide it, and when the water does show itself, you wont know where it originates from. In the mean time, mold, mildew, etc. is building up. Personally, I would not batt the walls, but use a blow in fiberglass. They come in and staple up mesh, then fill it under pressure. They should foam around the floor plate, all sockets, and plumbing voids. Use some really good vinyl windows, about 16"-18" in your attic (R-38) and a radiant barrier decking (Kool Deck or similar). 15 seer units are now standard (Carrier), and if natural gas isn't available, heat pumps will do fine in that area.

Comment

Is there any product that will help keep the attic temps down? Any reason why you would choose sprayed fiberglass the sprayed foam? What other things can we look into to make the home more energy efficient?

Comment

After just building my new house I should of went foam. The cost scared me off but it wouldn't of been as bad since I paid to upgrade anyways. I did 2x6 walls with r19,3/4 r4 foam board on the exterior,r50 in the attic, Kool deck,and r8 flex instead of r6.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
          After just building my new house I should of went foam. The cost scared me off but it wouldn't of been as bad since I paid to upgrade anyways. I did 2x6 walls with r19,3/4 r4 foam board on the exterior,r50 in the attic, Kool deck,and r8 flex instead of r6.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
          I still wouldn't. It takes years to get your money back, and most people finance it with their mortgage. I average less than $200 a month in electricity. It only affects the heating and cooling part of your bill. You still need to cook, hot water, lighting, and appliances.

Comment

Working...
          X