Friggin Ants in the Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friggin Ants in the Garden

I've got a problem with ants sucking the life out of my zucchini plants. They have just about killed one of them. It looks like they are latching on and sucking the fluid out of it. Does anyone know of any sort of organic method to get rid of these little bastards? They look like piss ants.

Just for safe measure, burning the suckers down is not an option!
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Oh, and these are raised beds. Self contained planters set on cinder blocks.

Comment

Bleach?

Comment

I haven't tried that, I'm assuming a bleach/water solution sprayed on the leaves/stem?

Comment

Amdro around the bed (in the yard). Seven dust in the garden. Wash everything before you eat it.

Comment

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041ND0ZY/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00[/ame] We had ants, spiders and all sorts of stuff everywhere, this stuff did a good job.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I definitely need to dust around the beds. Anyone have a true ORGANIC solution for control in the bed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                I definitely need to dust around the beds. Anyone have a true ORGANIC solution for control in the bed?

Diatomatious earth.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                  Diatomatious earth.
                  That is what I tried first. Didn't seem to deter the little shits. I need to mix up a paste and brush it on and see if that helps

Comment

I bet it is not ants. I bet squash bugs. They suck the juice from the plant stems, and the plant withers. They feed at night and get under something when the sun is out. They are pretty easy to control with liquid Sevin spray or several other pesticides.

Comment

At that particular time, it was ants. Little, black piss ants. I could see them latched on to the leaves. I coated the stems with diatonaceous earth and water (paste) and sprinkled a ring of amdro around the beds. This took care of them. I finally lost the plants though. I think I ended up with aphids eating them up. The stalks started spitting and the plant sagging.

My tomato plants are still doing good and my bell pepper plants started growing again. I prepped my empty squares yesterday by addibg in compost and turning the soil. I hope to get my lettuce, radishes, spinach, and broccoli planted next week

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
                        I bet it is not ants. I bet squash bugs. They suck the juice from the plant stems, and the plant withers. They feed at night and get under something when the sun is out. They are pretty easy to control with liquid Sevin spray or several other pesticides.
                        Oh, and I guess you missed the organic comment!

Comment

Working...
                        X