Advice on fixing half-ass drywall tape job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on fixing half-ass drywall tape job

Whoever did the drywall in my garage laid the paper tape over the joint but then never finished it out. The PO then painted the drywall like this. My question is if I sand the paint around the joint to roughen it up, can I then pull the tape off, retape and then mud over it? Will having paint on the surrounding drywall cause adhesion problems for the mud?

Unless its alkyd paint, the mud should stick fine. I'd just bed over the tape as is, unless its just a really bad tape job.
    Photobucket

Comment

The tape on the walls is ok for the most part but the tape on the ceiling is all curled on the edges and couple of pieces are starting to fall. It looks like shit.

Comment

The walls are shifting a little if any of the tape is is curling/rippling. That tape will need to be pulled down and re taped. Then you can begin the process of bedding over the tape. It's easier if you bed the butt joints first and then float the longer ones. Butt joints are usually the short ones (4ft) that butt up to the longer joints. Hope this helps and very sorry I didn't respond sooner for you.
        Photobucket

Comment

Working...
        X