Chainsaws - Input Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chainsaws - Input Needed

So we have an old Echo, and and old Stihl, that we can't get parts for. When I say old, they are at least 15 years old, but probably 20 or more.

My Pops went out, and pulled what I consider to be a bonehead move. He bought a refurb'd Husqvarna from Northern Tool for around $100. We had trouble getting it started from the get go. He took it back, and the guy at the counter started it in 2-3 pulls (hate when that happens). I brought it up to the farm, and got about 10 hours of use in one day. It was hell to start, but it cut and oiled well when I was cutting all day one day. I've tried numerous times to start it since, and I get nothing. It doesn't even act like it wants to start. Yes, it has fuel. Yes, the mixture is correct. I pulled the plug, and thought the gap was way too close. Gapped it out a little, cleaned the plug, put it back in. Nothing. Checked the air filter, it's clean. Tried a new plug, and got nothing. I was told to check the spark arrestor, but I can't find it. I'm sick of messing with this piece of shit. He is taking it back to Northern to see if they find anything wrong.

Dad's bday is coming up. We are going to get him a new chainsaw, one that will be reliable and easy to start. He's getting up there in age, and while I will be the one doing most of the work with it, it would be nice if he didn't have to hassle with getting it started when I'm not around. We've got 340 acres in OK. The land has been largely neglected for 15+ years. TONS of over and undergrowth. In trying to improve the land, a LOT OF shit needs to be cut down. Seems most pros use Stihl. I've had a couple Stihl weed eaters, and won't ever buy anything else. Are there any other brands I need to look at. He had some McCulloughs that he loved, but they are no more.

Any particular models anyone can recommend? At $450-600 new, we will likely find a very lightly used model. Possibly a factory refurb, as I know someone that works in tech for them. For our purposes, I don't think we will need anyting larger than a 20" bar. That might even be excessive, we could likely get away with a 16-18". Again, with his age, I want it to be something he won't have trouble with.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

I would definitely go with a stihl if it fits your budget. I never had any trouble with mine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Spark arrestor, it looks like a hand guard in front of the grip bar for the front hand.
      You mention that the store was able to get it to start in 2-3 pulls, then you are likely
      not taking into account the spark arrestor. Plus now, you might have bad gas.
      The new gas from the pump goes bad much faster than it used to.

When the arrestor gets tripped, it will not start until it's reset. It's used to save you from
      sawing off your face in the event of a kick-back. I had a friend that did that using a
      chainsaw without an arrestor, and he now sports the biggest facial scar most have ever
      seen on a living human.

Seriously recommend RTFM.
      Jay Johnson
      Car hauler for hire

Comment

Originally posted by jayjohnson600 View Post
        Spark arrestor, it looks like a hand guard in front of the grip bar for the front hand.
        You mention that the store was able to get it to start in 2-3 pulls, then you are likely
        not taking into account the spark arrestor. Plus now, you might have bad gas.
        The new gas from the pump goes bad much faster than it used to.

When the arrestor gets tripped, it will not start until it's reset. It's used to save you from
        sawing off your face in the event of a kick-back. I had a friend that did that using a
        chainsaw without an arrestor, and he now sports the biggest facial scar most have ever
        seen on a living human.

Seriously recommend RTFM.

Is the spark arrestor not in the exhaust? The hand guard is just that, is it not? I did reset the hand guard. Multiple times. Still nothing. I've read the manual countless times, but it was accidentally left back in Dallas on this trip, so I don't have access to it at the moment. But I followed the starting procedure to a T, I don't need the manual for that. It's not like I tried to start it for 20 minutes and quit. I spent the better part of a day yanking on this pile of shit. And at least an hour a day every day since.

Comment

I think that the spark arrestor is the screen in the muffler.

For 400 bucks you can get the Husqvarna Rancher 455 or the Stihl ms 290 Farm Boss. I have been researching this for a few days now. I had the Husqvarna 350 w/ 18 inch bar and have abused the piss out of it for about 10 years with no problems, untill my helper used straight gass. Four brothers in Royce City carry both for a side by side comparo. Lowes sells the husky. You can get an 18 or 20 also.

Comment

I have the MS290 and it kicks ass. Got mine a couple years ago with the 18'' chain for about $400. Since you pops has that much land, I wouldn't go any lower than the ms290. I would go up a model or few. Buy a couple chains and get a sharpener as well. I was looking into getting this sharpener...http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7451_200327451

Brent, if you want to try it out, you're more than welcome to swing by the crib and try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by sdun View Post
              I think that the spark arrestor is the screen in the muffler.

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't think after only 8 hours use it would be clogged or dirty. I guess it's possible though.

Also, the fuel was fresh. I ran it dry last time I used it, so I wouldn't leave any in the tank to gum up.

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
              I have the MS290 and it kicks ass. Got mine a couple years ago with the 18'' chain for about $400.

Brent, if you want to try it out, you're more than welcome to swing by the crib and try it out.

I'll look in to the 290. What diameter trees are you cutting with it? I may seriously take you up on that offer. Are you up by Allen?

Comment

Look at home depot and get a echo then pay $20 bux for the 3 yr warranty . No hassle new saw every year for 3 years.
                The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                  I would definitely go with a stihl if it fits your budget. I never had any trouble with mine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
                  This ^^^^, and get the 16" bar, thats plenty for just about anything, if its that big just cut from both side.......16" is way easier and ligher than the 20" when running it all day

Comment

Originally posted by Reefer Rae View Post
                    Look at home depot and get a echo then pay $20 bux for the 3 yr warranty . No hassle new saw every year for 3 years.

Meh. Granted he Echo was old by the time I was old enough to use it, but it just wasn't impressive IMO.

Originally posted by zemog View Post
                    This ^^^^, and get the 16" bar, thats plenty for just about anything, if its that big just cut from both side.......16" is way easier and ligher than the 20" when running it all day

What is the weight difference between a 18" and 16" bar? I see the 290 powerhead is 13 lbs by itself. Can't find a weight including bar and chain.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't think after only 8 hours use it would be clogged or dirty. I guess it's possible though.

Also, the fuel was fresh. I ran it dry last time I used it, so I wouldn't leave any in the tank to gum up.

I'll look in to the 290. What diameter trees are you cutting with it? I may seriously take you up on that offer. Are you up by Allen?

Around 12''-18'' mostly. I've cut a handful of 2ft+, and it does fine. More work cuz you have swap sides to finish the cut. If I were cutting close to 2ft+ all the time, I probably would of moved up a few models. I'm about 2 miles east of Mckinney.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                        Around 12''-18'' mostly. I've cut a handful of 2ft+, and it does fine. More work cuz you have swap sides to finish the cut. If I were cutting close to 2ft+ all the time, I probably would of moved up a few models. I'm about 2 miles east of Mckinney.
                        I'm headed back to TX tomorrow, but busy with work all week and have a friend in town until the 5th. I'll give you a shout to set something up the following weekend if that's cool.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          I'm headed back to TX tomorrow, but busy with work all week and have a friend in town until the 5th. I'll give you a shout to set something up the following weekend if that's cool.
                          Works for me. I actually got some pecan you could cut up for me...hahaha

Comment

i dont know the weight difference, but as someone who runs the 16 and 20 pretty much all winter, i just know the 16 is much easier to handle, because of size and weight

Comment

Originally posted by zemog View Post
                              i dont know the weight difference, but as someone who runs the 16 and 20 pretty much all winter, i just know the 16 is much easier to handle, because of size and weight
                              Is it safe to assume yours sees pretty heavy use? Still reliable? For our purposes it will only be used twice a month, but for a solid 10 hours a day for 2-3 days on each trip. Would you have any concerns about this over the pro model?

Comment

Working...
                              X