Roofing question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roofing question..

Im a relatively new home owner... that being said when people offer things too good to be true Im pretty skeptical..

We had a guy come buy our house from Wolfman contracting and offer to replace our roof at no charge to us and also be able to do work inside the house at no charge to us by going through our insurance.

The way it was worded was when insurance agent comes to inspect the roof a guy from his company would be there to over see the inspection and try to get as much money out of them as possible.. For instance if it would cost 5000 to fix the roof they would try to get 10000 so they could repair anything else we wanted.

After some reading it seems like this is "normal" practice but also shows that it is insurance fraud in Texas. Any ideas?

MikeC is our board roofer... All For One Roofing or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinger View Post
      Im a relatively new home owner... that being said when people offer things too good to be true Im pretty skeptical..

We had a guy come buy our house from Wolfman contracting and offer to replace our roof at no charge to us and also be able to do work inside the house at no charge to us by going through our insurance.

The way it was worded was when insurance agent comes to inspect the roof a guy from his company would be there to over see the inspection and try to get as much money out of them as possible.. For instance if it would cost 5000 to fix the roof they would try to get 10000 so they could repair anything else we wanted.

After some reading it seems like this is "normal" practice but also shows that it is insurance fraud in Texas. Any ideas?
      Your insurance company will say the opposite, about how roofing contractors are like vultures that inflate costs, bla bla bla. They know more about the game than you'll ever learn. Get a quote from someone else (see second post). Mike is straight up no BS and will tell it like it is.
      Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

A lot of it depends on your deductible. A lot of people have gone to a 1% deductible to keep the policy cost down.
        It seems to be a pretty common practice now for roofer's to try to cover deductibles.

Comment

Thank you guys for the votes of confidence. I take pride in doing what I can to eliminate the games and bullshit.

That said, stay away from that contractor, as that sounds like a straight up scam artist approach. His next move would be to "do the job for whatever the insurance company agrees to pay". Always ask a roofing company for their 'per square rate', which will weed out the ones trying to take advantage of you/your company instantly.

Lastly is there damage on the roof? If so, they may buy it. If not you end up with a 'no pay claim' on your record, which marks you to the agencies as someone who is trying to take advantage of them and lessens cooperation down the road should you actually have a claim to file. I can answer any questions you have and/or swing by to take a peek at it if you like.
          www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
            Thank you guys for the votes of confidence. I take pride in doing what I can to eliminate the games and bullshit.

That said, stay away from that contractor, as that sounds like a straight up scam artist approach. His next move would be to "do the job for whatever the insurance company agrees to pay". Always ask a roofing company for their 'per square rate', which will weed out the ones trying to take advantage of you/your company instantly.

Lastly is there damage on the roof? If so, they may buy it. If not you end up with a 'no pay claim' on your record, which marks you to the agencies as someone who is trying to take advantage of them and lessens cooperation down the road should you actually have a claim to file. I can answer any questions you have and/or swing by to take a peek at it if you like.

I have not really looked at it closely.. I have not seen any extremely noticeable damage on the roof.. But I know the few times I have been on the roof there are some soft spots which I would imagine is not good..

I will make sure not to use this guy and I may take you up on that offer and have you take a look.. Thanks for the feed back.

Comment

I have not really looked at it closely.. I have not seen any extremely noticeable damage on the roof.. But I know the few times I have been on the roof there are some soft spots which I would imagine is not good..

I will make sure not to use this guy and I may take you up on that offer and have you take a look.. Thanks for the feed back.
              how old is the house?

Comment

MikeC is the man...no sense in even calling anyone else really...
                Originally posted by Sean88gt
                You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                  MikeC is the man...no sense in even calling anyone else really...
                  Thanks Chris. Lemme know when you're ready and I'll have a crew and materials there in one to two days...
                  www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

You won't see hail damage unless you are up there man. If you do get up there look for "bruises" and block case letter O's, partial O's as well. Push down lightly with your finger and if it gives it damaged the fiberglass mat, which is basically the screen that covers your windows. Then you have to count a minimum of 8 in a 10x10 area on two slopes, comprising half or better of the roof. At that point it's taken care of, just a matter of finding a trustworthy contractor.

I know of at least one board member that gave half up front to a contractor that never came back, so be careful on that front.
                    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

You won't see hail damage unless you are up there man. If you do get up there look for "bruises" and block case letter O's, partial O's as well. Push down lightly with your finger and if it gives it damaged the fiberglass mat, which is basically the screen that covers your windows. Then you have to count a minimum of 8 in a 10x10 area on two slopes, comprising half or better of the roof. At that point it's taken care of, just a matter of finding a trustworthy contractor.

I know of at least one board member that gave half up front to a contractor that never came back, so be careful on that front.
                      Listen to Mike. In fact, have him come by to take a look for you as he offered. I already have a new roof, and he's working with me to repair the fence too. As has been stated, Mike is the man around here for roofing.

Comment

Go with mikec, another satisfied customer here

Comment

Mike must be real busy.......I called him regarding my roof after the storm in July and I never heard back from him again. The cost of the new roof on my house and garage was just under $20,000.

Comment

Would a ball hammer be something I could use to check for "bruises"?
                            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Always ask a roofing company for their 'per square rate', which will weed out the ones trying to take advantage of you/your company instantly.
                              And how much is that these days ?

Comment

Working...
                              X