stickers :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stickers :(

Is anyone else fighting with these dang stickers? I'm slowly losing this battle and I'm just about to poison the area they're in for 6 months, then burn that area, till it up, then re sod. I don't know what else to do.

So far I've been picking the ends off while they're green before they fall off. I then try and pull up as much of the roots as possible but I don't think I'm making any progress. Not to mention that I've poked my fingers countless times so far doing all of this.
    Last edited by GeorgeG.; 04-09-2013, 11:21 AM.

I've got one area in my back yard covered by those fuckers, I have tried spraying them, pulling them up etc and nothing seems to work.

I have a 20 month old and dont want her to get those in her feet, So Next spring I am going to till up that entire area and dispose of the grass/weeds and lay down some st.augustine sod and be done with it.
    2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
    Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
    Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
    Speedlogix Catch Can
    Resonator Delete

Comment

While what Neil is referring too is more than likely not the same exact plant, I would suggest the same treatment. Pre-emergent is your friend

Originally posted by Neil Sperry
      Garden Tip: I've had several questions on the radio, in print and right here asking about getting rid of grassburs ("stickers"). What you're seeing now is the culmination of their growing season –the burs are their seeds. You can do nothing but cope with the burs, but next year apply pre-emergent Dimension or Halts to prevent their germination. Apply early March, and repeat early June.

Comment

My dad uses msma.

Comment

Originally posted by bard View Post
          While what Neil is referring too is more than likely not the same exact plant, I would suggest the same treatment. Pre-emergent is your friend
          and make sure and do the 2nd in june or all with be for not, and if possible bag everytime till they are gone, post emerge them too.......its a pain but it is possible

Comment

Why would you get rid of them they add HP.
            Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

I remember as a kid seeing a friends dad rid a huge, 1.3 acre yard by:

Using pre-emergent
              Using carpet scraps tied behind the mower to catch as many as possible
              Burning carpet strips.

It takes time, especially if you are consistent with pre-emergent.
              sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
              86 SVO - Sold
              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Your mower will transport those bastards all over your yard kill them with round up and till the piss out of the area keep it dead for a month and the sod over them . Then pre and post emergent .
                The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

When we moved into our house 2 yrs ago, there were many little plants of those around the yard. I used ortho weed b gone in a spray for the end of your hose. Applied that once a month for about 4 months, then used some basic scotts fertilizer in a yellow bag. killed off all the stickers and really helped the lawn. The following spring i used some weed n feed with a spreader, watered once a week then 60 days later applied scotts max green and this was the result.

This past spring i applied the weed n feed again, then 60 days later applied the max green again, with the same results. Very nice plush green grass with only watering once a week.

Comment

thanks for the tips fellas... I'll look for a post emergent for now and plan on a preemergent in March.

The particular area that I have this problem actually needs to be tilled and leveled anyhow. The previous owner added a bunch of dirt and it looks like a pitcher's mound and really messed up the grading. SO, I really need to till it and level it out but I'm afraid of making the problem worse by spreading them out.

I'll look for a post emergent for now (maybe just go over-board and poison that area) then plan on the preemergent and weed killers.

Comment

I think BlackPony is on the right track. I'm going to give that a go since I've got these fuckers in the field in my back yard.

I'm also going to try towing some carpet remnant behind my mower to pick up as many of the stickers that are already there as I can.. Our Westie collects these things way to easily.

Comment

Working...
                      X