best way to route pipes for water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to route pipes for water

moving pipes for washer to different area.....but on the other side of the house.....drain is already setup but is it best to route the lines over to it.
    Your local VW parts Master.....need a part?

Tie into the most convenient lines near it?

Comment

You can always use the PEX stuff and run it through the attic and down the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
        You can always use the PEX stuff and run it through the attic and down the wall.
        Just insulate it and get the the heaters for the stuff in the attic. Moms froze up even with faucets dripping.

Comment

I did this in my old house and it saved me lots of cash. Pex and Sharkbite fittings are the bomb.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Redd View Post
            Just insulate it and get the the heaters for the stuff in the attic. Moms froze up even with faucets dripping.
            If insulated, it won't freeze any worse than copper. The difference is the quality PEX has 5 times the bursting strength of copper. It will not burst.

Comment

If insulated, it won't freeze any worse than copper. The difference is the quality PEX has 5 times the bursting strength of copper. It will not burst.
              Moms was insulated and still froze in the attic, didnt burst. This was during the freeze 3 years ago during superbowl time. I was in the attic installing a heater cord made for these lines at 1am after a 12 hour shift of sanding. I now hate vaulted ceilings/attics

Comment

Originally posted by Redd View Post
                Moms was insulated and still froze in the attic, didnt burst. This was during the freeze 3 years ago during superbowl time. I was in the attic installing a heater cord made for these lines at 1am after a 12 hour shift of sanding. I now hate vaulted ceilings/attics
                That's why I said,"...any worse than copper". If it's cold enough, anything will freeze in an attic. I always go R38 insulation in attics, which goes over the PEX. It does help some.

Comment

You are right about the bursting point. The pex will expand if it freezes. But..... The fittings will still break. Seen it all to often. I do agree that pex can save you money and it is quick and easy

Comment

Originally posted by Div4pro View Post
                    You are right about the bursting point. The pex will expand if it freezes. But..... The fittings will still break. Seen it all to often. I do agree that pex can save you money and it is quick and easy
                    Fittings are copper, correct? There's hardly any way around that, unfortunately. PEX is far from perfect, but it's a good alternative.

Comment

Fittings are copper, correct? There's hardly any way around that, unfortunately. PEX is far from perfect, but it's a good alternative.
                      Most pex ftgs are brass. There are a few companies out there that made them out of plastic. Stay away from these, especially running over head. From what i have heard back from most homeowners was the only time they had lines freeze is when it stays below freezing for several days. If you have to run them through the attic, use thick insulation( atleast 3/4 wall thickness) and keep the lines as low as possible. I try and run them through the attic insulation. Just a little extra. And i cover everything with the pipe insulation, no gaps and taped seams

Comment

Originally posted by Div4pro View Post
                        Most pex ftgs are brass. There are a few companies out there that made them out of plastic. Stay away from these, especially running over head. From what i have heard back from most homeowners was the only time they had lines freeze is when it stays below freezing for several days. If you have to run them through the attic, use thick insulation( atleast 3/4 wall thickness) and keep the lines as low as possible. I try and run them through the attic insulation. Just a little extra. And i cover everything with the pipe insulation, no gaps and taped seams
                        I thought my plumber used copper fittings on the PEX, but I digress. It could very well be brass. The "fitting tool" is not cheap, and I know he's never used plastic on any of my stuff.

Comment

hmm, bathroom is closer to the area that washer will go but its not easy to access piping there.....easy piping access is where the washer was since ill be redoing the dry wall around it.
                          Your local VW parts Master.....need a part?

Comment

Working...
                          X