Load bearing wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Load bearing wall

How do you know if a wall is load bearing if you do not have blueprints?

Knock it down and see if the house collapses?
    - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
    1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by red95gts View Post
      haha besides that way. It's a wall in our bathroom upstairs that has the shower head on it. I was thinking of knocking it down, moving the head to the other side of the shower area, removign the tub and just having a shower since our master bath is tiny, but I don't know if this wall is load bearing or not

Comment

Originally posted by red95gts View Post
        x2- Only way I know. Or you could watch the DIY channel for a week straight and I'm sure they will give you the info.

Or, you can wait for Vertnut to get on and he can probably tell you.

Comment

Generally, load bearing walls run perpendicular to your rafters in the attic. If the wall runs parallel with the rafters, it's not load bearing. A quick look in the attic should confirm.

Comment

Also, don't knock down an exterior wall. It makes life very cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

Comment

That's the name of my ol lady's underwear

Comment

Look in the attic. If you see any boards going from the attic floor to the roof rafters... where its hits attic floor(the ceiling) the wall below it is "bearring" the load or the roof.
                Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
                  Look in the attic. If you see any boards going from the attic floor to the roof rafters... where its hits attic floor(the ceiling) the wall below it is "bearring" the load or the roof.
                  This is the easiest way to be sure, if you have good attic access above it. Also take a good look around and see what else might bear the load. Typically, "plumbed" walls are 2x6 walls, and a lot are exterior also, which means they are load bearing.

Comment

Yeah this wall is in the center of the room. I guess I'll have to get in the attic and check it out. I hate getting into the upstairs attic, the hole is barely as wide as my shoulders. 1965 house ftw....

Comment

Hey! There is another improvement you can do!

My Dad has an older house and made an entry from the garage to the attic. Just uses a ladder and he finagled a door...etc...etc. 5x larger than the entry originally put in.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                        Hey! There is another improvement you can do!

My Dad has an older house and made an entry from the garage to the attic. Just uses a ladder and he finagled a door...etc...etc. 5x larger than the entry originally put in.
                        2 story house. the one in the garage is normal size, however the one to get to the upstairs attic is about shoulder width

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo View Post
                          2 story house. the one in the garage is normal size, however the one to get to the upstairs attic is about shoulder width
                          Might want to carry a little insulation up there with you. Odds are in a 45+ year-old house, you're a little thin in the attic.

Comment

Working...
                          X