Dog house project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog house project

Was looking around for some dog house and just decided to build my own with my brother.. I got about 150 dollars complete. Dog house is 48x48x60
    Attached Files

Very nice looking work.

I am in the middle of building one myself so I have a few things I have been wondering about, if you don't mind:
    Where did you get the flashing (?) for the roof and how much was it? I didn't know if I really need that part but I like the finished look it adds to your work.
    I am also curious what thickness OSB you used for roof decking. I bought 1/4 inch but the shortest roofing nails I saw were 1 inch, didn't want them to stick out so much.

I rotated your pic, and added one of mine in progress.

Last edited by slow06; 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by juic3d View Post
      Was looking around for some dog house and just decided to build my own with my brother.. I got about 150 dollars complete. Dog house is 48x48x60
      I like the wall mount version! To post #2 , you can find all of the materials you need at lowes or home depot, since it is a smaller version of a house it is the same material in smaller quantities. You should be able to do it all with one strip of flashing and using hardie panels for the walls will help it last longer too. Do it right the first time and it will last, also a safe bet for the bottom is to coat or paint it with something that is moisture resistant to prevent rotting.

God Bless

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
        I like the wall mount version! To post #2 , you can find all of the materials you need at lowes or home depot, since it is a smaller version of a house it is the same material in smaller quantities. You should be able to do it all with one strip of flashing and using hardie panels for the walls will help it last longer too. Do it right the first time and it will last, also a safe bet for the bottom is to coat or paint it with something that is moisture resistant to prevent rotting.

God Bless
        Several things I will change next time, including using the hardy panel for the outer walls like he did. I already regret not having used pressure treated wood for the deck portion. For now it will just be plywood, but I think I will grab some flashing though, that I can fit in the car.

I am kinda hoping it rots so I have a good excuse to build another one. I love doing this and I think of it as practice for building a shed in the near future.
        "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
          Several things I will change next time, including using the hardy panel for the outer walls like he did. I already regret not having used pressure treated wood for the deck portion. For now it will just be plywood, but I think I will grab some flashing though, that I can fit in the car.

I am kinda hoping it rots so I have a good excuse to build another one. I love doing this and I think of it as practice for building a shed in the near future.
          They should be able to cut it in half for you. If you want to save the one you built you can buy a marine grade sealant.

Comment

I used 5/8 think osb cuz my brother got the wrong stuff. It took 2 bundle of shingles.my dog is a black lab too. All I have left to do is paint it and do my roof caps. I used 1/2 ply wood for the floor. And my dog house took 4 10 ft pieces of flashing and it was like 10 bucks for it all. This dog house is huge. I'm going to put a piece of plexi glass where the door opening is and a magnet at the bottom like a doggie door. I just figured it all up I got $160 dollars in it including paint.

Comment

I used 5/8 think osb cuz my brother got the wrong stuff. It took 2 bundle of shingles.my dog is a black lab too. All I have left to do is paint it and do my roof caps. I used 1/2 ply wood for the floor. And my dog house took 4 10 ft pieces of flashing and it was like 10 bucks for it all. This dog house is huge. I'm going to put a piece of plexi glass where the door opening is and a magnet at the bottom like a doggie door. I just figured it all up I got $160 dollars in it including paint.
              How is your dog going to get in ? I would get some of the clear plastic floor runner and cut it into wide strips like they do with overhead doors at hotels and such.

Comment

Yea the plexi glass with be on door hinges

Comment

Yea the plexi glass with be on door hinges
                  Don't forget it scratches very easily.

Comment

i got 4 big ac concrete pads that i will put under the dog house so it dont sit on the ground

Comment

Just add a couple 5-6" 4x4 legs to it and elevate it off the ground. The pup can easily walk up the riser or add a little ramp

Comment

No joke, and my wife thought mine was too big.

I went and looked at flashing tonight, very cheap. That's not a bad price over all. I think mine is going to come out around $115 or so, but I may be forgetting some things, I have pieced together the parts over a couple of weeks.

Comment

I built one that size about 8 years ago for a choc. lab, now he's gone and 2 smaller dogs share it. It sits on the porch out of direct rain so I put a light in the top of the back wall(fixture for single bulb like you find in a small closet). It's covered on the inside with foam panels covered in the foil radiant barrier. In the winter I plug in the light at night and it stays pretty warm. Go to Tractor supply and you can get a brick of cedar shavings for them to bed in. You can put a 1by4 at the bottom of the opening to keep it in. I think that the cedar deters insects as a bonus.

Comment

Working...
                          X