Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about garage door openers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about garage door openers?

Mine is as old as the house I think. 1979. Its the screw type. It has worked flawlessly until today. It was really struggling so I disengaged the door from the screw in case the springs were causing the trouble, but even free wheeling, the opener seems to be struggling to turn. I'm thinking the bearings in the motor are shot, but I figure I'd just ask in case anyone had any tips.

It might be your springs are shot or need adjusted. Pull the rope to disconnect the door from the opener, and open the door 3-4 feet and let go. The door should stay in place and not fall to the ground. If it falls, your springs are the problem.

Comment

DO NOT fuck with the springs!
      Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
        x2, learned that the hard way as a teen trying to fix my moms garage (i got very lucky and didn't get hurt)

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
          Mine is as old as the house I think. 1979. Its the screw type. It has worked flawlessly until today. It was really struggling so I disengaged the door from the screw in case the springs were causing the trouble, but even free wheeling, the opener seems to be struggling to turn. I'm thinking the bearings in the motor are shot, but I figure I'd just ask in case anyone had any tips.
          Well, I've fixed a lot of people's doors and openers. (Just ask people).

Now look above your door (with the door down). You should have one or two springs. Are either of these broken in half? If YES, do not operate the door. You'll destroy your opener.

If your springs are in good shape, disconnect the operator from the door (Pull cord). Can you lift the door up without much effort? If NO, then theres something wrong with your door.

If nothing is wrong with the door, odds are the operator is trash. I mean you said the it was from 1979, thats 30 years, I think you got your money's worth out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
            Why not?!?! I've probably have messed with 2 to 3 thousand garage door springs... Of course I had winding bars with me

Comment

I must not have explained it well. My springs are fine and I already disconnected the drive from the door. Even without pulling the door, its struggling. I guess the motor is just shot.

Comment

May not be the motor itself, but the transmission - pop the cover off and look inside. A lot of times it is just a plastic wormdrive screw and a sprocket.. One of which has just worn out. Pretty easy fix if thats the case.

Comment

Working...
                X