Refrigerator (ice maker) repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator (ice maker) repair?

In-laws need their GE fridge worked on. It hasn't made ice or dispensed anything in a while. I'm not gonna mess with it. Is there a hook-up and/or recommendation here?

Originally posted by jluv View Post
    In-laws need their GE fridge worked on. It hasn't made ice or dispensed anything in a while. I'm not gonna mess with it. Is there a hook-up and/or recommendation here?
    How old is the fridge? I don't have a recommendation for residential, but I know the water line freezing in the door is an issue. My GE has the same issue a time or two a year.

Also, make sure the fridge did not get pushed back in to its "hole", crimping or kinking the line coming out of the valve at the wall.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Jared, I'll add, it's usually a good idea to just replace the ice maker if the other issues I mentioned above are ruled out. Depending on the model, they are $100-150 or so. By the time you add in service call, parts, and labor, it's easier and less hassle I just replace the ice maker. They are plug and play. Very simple. I get all my parts from a place off of 820 in Ft Worth. I can't recall the name, but I'll dig it up tomorrow.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Thanks dude.

It's gotta be 8-10 years old. It's a piece of junk, IMO. Hasn't worked right in a long time. Front panel doesn't seem to work. Nothing triggers the motor, doesn't seem like it's trying to dispense anything, even water. I could probably fix it, but don't want to, for certain reasons. They could fix it if they tried, but they want to pay a repair man. They are stubborn and cheap. Good folks though, lol!

Let me know that place you're talking about in FW, though, if you don't mind. I may be able to persuade them.

Hell, I think they should just get a new one. This one is a turd.

Comment

Agreed with the DIY on this. They really are simple and are self contained units. Two screws and a plug in most cases. We had to replace ours in our GE built-in unit shortly after we got it.

You should pull the unit and get the part number of of it and check eBay. There are some wholesale dealers that will sell you new replacement units much cheaper than some of the local retailers. Some as cheap as $40 still in the box.
          Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

There are a lot of you tube videos that
            Show you how to diagnose the problem.

Pretty easy fix. Mine has two solenoid valves the the base where the water comes in from the wall. Once it was the sending valve and one or was the other.

I also had the waterline freeze and the maker itself had a bad motor.

Sent from my HTC VL_U using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
            X