Home Alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Alarm

So Im fucking confused when it comes to this shit.

I've read reviews, but feel they're just paid advertisements. I don't know if I call one company like ADT and get reamed or is there something else to do.

House is a small 1300sqft built in 1945. Im not looking to have any new wiring done or any other complicated matters.

So whats preferred and what do I look for?

alarm companies do bank on the monthly bill you pay 'em and not so much for the alarm install! hell you could probably get it free if you call around

Comment

My house was already wired, just picked up ADT as a service after I bought it. Ditched the regular service a couple of years ago and went cellular so I could cancel my landline. Good service and it runs about $35.00 a month. Smaller companies like Thompson (more local) can do it quite a bit cheaper than that.

Comment

I use smith monitoring. Cheaper then ADT all the way around.
        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

I had Smith Thompson too. There are lots of endorsements on this board.

You don't need to be prewired. They can set you up with a few wireless motion sensors to cover the main thoroghfares in your house.
          Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

So what does this smith thompson have over the name brand big firms??

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
              cheaper installation and rates.

Smith is a big texas monitoring company.
              "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

also some cities do a direct to dispatch service. you have it installed 3rd party and the city monitors for you. id assume it cuts way down on response time.

Comment

So does an alarm actually accomplish anything other than money spent and piece of mind?

Comment

If I'm home, it will surely wake me up. Otherwise, it's just a deterrent and hopefully they'll kick down the neighbors door instead.
                    Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Mine worked great the other day. Motion sensor went off. ADT called and told me which sensor triggered. Motion. Logged into my 8 camera security camera system and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Called my neighbor and had him go check the outside of the house and doors. No issues found.

Told ADT not to call the cops. I called my buddy who was 5 min away and had him head to the house. He has access. Called the local PD to report it and just do a welfare check. Didn't want them to dispatch for a false alarm as my city will make you get a permit for too many false alarms. Never had one before. Cops show-up right as my buddy does. They go in the house and what do you know.......

Dog escaped her crate and set off the motion sensor. Cop did a quick walk-thru and all looked ok.

Buddy said cop was really cool about it.

Turned out pretty good. It's piece of mind + lower insurance rates if it's monitored.

I have both landline and a cell backup as well as a battery backup.

Oh, btw....FTP J/K

Comment

dont use hawk

Comment

Price is lower than most if not all national firms, and my service has been flawless. They are also local, and I would rather spend my money here than send it out of state.

Comment

So does an alarm actually accomplish anything other than money spent and piece of mind?
                            I like my monitored smoke detectors.
                            www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

i got smith thompson. My install was kinda expensive. $530ish up front got me 3 doors, wireless monitoring, glass break sensor, 1 key fob, and 3 mos monitoring

Comment

Working...
                              X