No announcement yet.

Cost of running electricity to my shed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of running electricity to my shed?

I want to run electricity to my shed. The shed is 6 feet from the house, you could run the line from the fuse box through the attic out to the shed. I want switch inside the shed to shut it off completely, and 3 outlets.

What's a good ballpark figure to have an electician do this?

Are you somewhere they will need to pull a permit ? Supplies should be about $100.. Do you have an unused breaker in your box?

Comment

Do it yourself...its not hard. Or just run an extension cord in some pvc pipe

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
        Are you somewhere they will need to pull a permit ? Supplies should be about $100.. Do you have an unused breaker in your box?
        I'm sure the city of Carrollton would want me to have a permit, but how will they know since the work is done in my attic & backyard? I have a 10ft fence .

Comment

It's not hard I did my house in FTW that way. I had a single breaker in the garage to totally shut it off and I wired in 9 plugs and 3 lights for cheap
          1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
            I'm sure the city of Carrollton would want me to have a permit, but how will they know since the work is done in my attic & backyard? I have a 10ft fence .
            from what i have been told:

If you do this without a permit/inspection and your house burns down because of it and the insurance company finds out it was done without the permit/inspection then they will not pay. But if its done right then you wont have any worry, just make sure you or whoever is doing it does it right.

Comment

In most cities I've done work in, a licensed electrician would need to pull that permit, and most cities also require that he be "registered" ($100-$150 annually) to do work in that city.

Comment

You said electrician, so I assumed you wanted to do it legit.
                I'd do it myself without a permit. It's an easy job. I would run the line in conduit. I would probably drop it in the ground to keep it out of the way and out of sight. I would use a GFI breaker since its outside just to be safe...
                Get some help if you're not sure, but its easy to do. I installed a sub panel in my shop and wired the whole thing myself. That was my first real electrical work..Inspector thought the electrical sub building the house did the work..

Comment

I want to do this legit, that's why I posted. If it requires a permit, so be it. It did not occur to me that I needed a building permit to run one circuit through my attic to a shed.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                    Or just run an extension cord in some pvc pipe
                    That's what I'd do, but I'm ghetto like that.

Comment

I want to do this legit, that's why I posted. If it requires a permit, so be it. It did not occur to me that I needed a building permit to run one circuit through my attic to a shed.
                      Yep, when you live in town, you need a permit for all kinds of stupid stuff. Buddy of mine lives in Plano, he had to replace the back flow valve on his sprinkler, he had to get a permit.. He had a plumber come out and quote him some crazy ass price. (I think cause he lives in a fancy house). Anyway he told him to get lost and did it himself ...Well, I guess the guy turned him into the city cause the inspector came by..What a PITA...
                      So, to get a permit, you have to have a license, your cost just went up about $300. So about $400 is what you're looking at.
                      Last edited by dcs13; 02-10-2013, 12:12 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

I live in Carrollton and did my own. Trenched about 25' and put it in conduit. I did not get a permit as I did it on the weekend. Put the whole shed on a GFI.

Comment

We can come out there and do it. It's $108 an hour plus material and permit. Your prolly looking around $650 just ball parking it if you want a company to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by crooner View Post
                            We can come out there and do it. It's $108 an hour plus material and permit. Your prolly looking around $650 just ball parking it if you want a company to do it.
                            lol... $20 extension cord and $8 in pvc is sounding better and better.

Comment

If you want to do it yourself, I'll be happy to walk you through the process and help you put together a material list.

Comment

Working...
                              X