Building a Garage. Stud spacing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Garage. Stud spacing ?

I'm about to begin building a small detatched garage behind my house. I'm tinkerin with 2x4"x10' studs spaced 16" OC for the walls, or 2x6"x10' with 24"oc spacing. What would be the best route to take?

I take it you dont live in the city limits. But 16" spacing is mo betta and accepted as code in most places.
    ./ ____ _ _\.
    (]]]_ o _[[[)
    \o_FORD_o/
    |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

Will it be insulated? I would go 2x6 on 24" centers. Gives more insulation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I live in Arlington and the ciry allows 2x6 studs on 24" centers. I was considering the insulation factor as well. I was just curious if a 2x6 on 24" centers would be as sturdy as 2x4's on 16" centers.

Comment

Garage or a shed? Shed I would do 2x4 because its cheaper to frame and you wont spend the time out in it. Garage, 2x6 with better insulation because it will keep you warmer/cooler as you work in it.

Comment

Here's some information for you.

2009 International Residential Code online free:

Chapter 6 is wall construction. Table R602.3(5) governs the size, height, and spacing of wood studs. Not the height limitation is 10' for bearing walls. There is a provision to allow up to 12' heights if you increase the bracing. Scroll down this link until you find the table: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_6_sec002.htm

Table R602.3.1 shows the maximum allowable length of wood wall studs for most homes including our area. It provides for heights up to 24', but you can see the grade, dimension, and spacing of the studs goes up a ton. For your purposes, you can space 2x4's at 24" o.c. and be fine (assuming your roof span isn't greater than 32').

Hope that helps.

Comment

Doesn't really answer his question:

"I was just curious if a 2x6 on 24" centers would be as sturdy as 2x4's on 16" centers."

Seems like more of an engineering question that a code question.

Not that I can help in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                Doesn't really answer his question:

"I was just curious if a 2x6 on 24" centers would be as sturdy as 2x4's on 16" centers."

Seems like more of an engineering question that a code question.

Not that I can help in any way.
                Sure it does, in a way. The code is a minimum standard, but the tables show what he wants. The tables are based on supporting the same load above the wall (roof, roof and story, etc.). He can pick his condition and then frame how he wants.

To be specific though, yes, it's a design question if he wants to know which is stronger. I can pull a manual down and look, but I have a conf. call in 5 mins. OP, reply if you really want that information or just work from the tables referenced above for what is permissible per code.

Comment

I've decided to go with 2x6's at 24"OC. It should be sturdy enough for a garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Diabolic View Post
                    I've decided to go with 2x6's at 24"OC. It should be sturdy enough for a garage.
                    What are you using for interior walls?

Basically, if you're going to be hanging heavy stuff, just account for that in either your interior wall material or otherwise. Plenty of work around options either way you go and whatever you do.

Personally I recommend plywood or osb, painted white.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Diabolic View Post
                      This is the thing that people do not understand about structures. I'm not picking on you, OP, but your post above is the exact statement people make that do not account for structural factors.

People say, "It should be sturdy enough for a garage/deck/loft/carport/etc."

It's not "what" you're building; it's what it's supporting. What if the garage is 40' x 40' and has a loft? That changes everything. You have to look at the spans and the load they support to determine if something is heavy enough.

I'm sure the size of your garage falls well within the capacity of 2x6 @ 24 oc, but just make sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X