New (to me) house. Need advice on repairs, maintenance, audio/video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (to me) house. Need advice on repairs, maintenance, audio/video

I just bought a house last week, but due to working so much I've only been able to stay there 2 nights. I'll barely be home during the month of April, but I'd like to have a game plan to use my time wisely to fix things, paint, weed, etc.. This got lengthy in a hurry, so thanks for all of the help in advance. For any contributors and anyone in the area, I'll put something together once I'm settled in and provide burgers/brats/fajitas/whatever.

The basics:
    Located in the county
    1 ac.
    25xx sq. ft. (1.5 story)
    Built 2003
    Well water
    Aerobic septic
    Mostly brick veneer

I know a lot of this is google-worthy, but I figured I'd check in here first to get some first-hand knowledge of what works in this region as far as soil, minerals, vegetation, etc.. The rest, I'm tapping the collective all-knowing brain trust of DFWM.

* The water is very soft, and leaves your hands feeling like you still have soap on them after all the soap is gone. Anyone have a good recommendation?

* Yard looks like shit and is spotted with weeds. I'll upload close-up pics tomorrow. Is it too late for pre-emergent this year? Just go with spot-killing?

* Under the kitchen sink there is water damage. The back left corner of the "flooring" under the sink has pulled away from the divider wall that makes up the bar and divides from the living area. Do I just rip a new piece and replace the whole "floor?" I'm thinking it's probably necessary to pull the drywall in that corner and inspect.

* In the master shower there is one spot low on the side wall where there is caulking where some slate was possibly broken off or the grout broke off. There are also 2 screws that I'm assuming held something to the wall, and were then re-inserted when the p.o.'s moved out. They don't look rusted out, but I have no reason to believe that they were installed or sealed with any kind of care. Do I just re-caulk and hope for the best on these areas? Pull the stone to inspect?

* There is water damage to 2 window sills in the front of the house. The inspector said it's from misaligned sprinkler heads in the flower beds. Both window sills will be replaced. Anything else to look for or any preventative measures to be taken on the outside/inside of the home?

*The ceiling in the master has cracks where the drywall meets. The inspector said this was due to doing all the finishing work at once and not letting it dry up properly, therefore it cracks from the heat cycling in the attic. Should I try to take the texture down some and then tape and float the seams? Is there a more expensive compound that will work better?

* The garage door to the back yard has some damage on the trim/frame. This should be an easy fix, no? It was from the dogs, and then dry rot. No termites present.

The door from the utility room into the garage is brand new, but is about 3/4" too narrow for the frame. Do I shim it out, have someone fix the whole frame?

(continued)

* The septic system has two sprinkler heads on it in the middle 1/3 of the yard. Is it possible to purchase sprinkler heads that are directional, like regular sprinkler heads? I would like to plant a garden and grow my own veggies, so I would like to confine the spray to just a certain area. I would wait until next year to plant in the previously sprayed areas.

* I purchased the home for ~$4k less than what TAD.org has it appraised at, and $6k less than the independent appraisal stated. It says April 30th is the early deadline to dispute taxes. Do I file that for this year, since it's mine before April 30th?

* I would like to have an A/V setup in the downstairs living area, and the built-in with the swivel platform is only going to be big enough for a receiver/dvd/etc. setup, not an actual T.V. The previous owners had a T.V. mounted in place of the mantle. I'm torn between having a nice mantle, or having a nice T.V. in its place. There really isn't a better spot for the T.V., unfortunately.

* Upstairs will eventually get something awesome as far as A/V goes, and any movie watching or gaming will be done up there. The layout may be hard to grasp by the pictures, but the ceiling is multifaceted (not sure of the architectural term for this type ceiling), and the tallest portion of the ceiling is in the center of the room. I'm a total newb when it comes to projectors and high end A/V. I'm thinking the most ideal situation for gaming/watching is to black out the window and put the screen/tv in that location, with your back to the stairs. Another option is to put seating in front of the window and have a screen come down from the apex of the ceiling.

Comment

Congrats on the purchase man
      Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
      It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

I don't see anything that costly. Someone did a poor tape/bed job in that room, or some moisture got it.

Comment

Just hire a handy man to fix all the odds and ends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
          2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing it.
            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
            86 SVO - Sold
            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Congrats on the buy man, it's a nice looking house. I do know that the safest thing you can do septic wise is to have it cleaned/pumped out. Not knowing the last time it was serviced or the condition of your system can really take its toll once it malfunctions.

Give me a call when you get a chance and I'll explain what I'm talking about, because after all it's better to know what to expect before hand than to not know and have it back up in the middle of the night..

Gary
              817-774-1236

Comment

Originally posted by wishitwasasvt View Post
                Congrats on the buy man, it's a nice looking house. I do know that the safest thing you can do septic wise is to have it cleaned/pumped out. Not knowing the last time it was serviced or the condition of your system can really take its toll once it malfunctions.

Give me a call when you get a chance and I'll explain what I'm talking about, because after all it's better to know what to expect before hand than to not know and have it back up in the middle of the night..

Gary
                817-774-1236
                Good advice. $350 septic pump-out can save a $500 air pump and/or $350 in-tank pump. Not to mention a nasty mess inside the house.

Comment

[QUOTE=Vertnut;1021621]Good advice. $350 septic pump-out can save a $500 air pump and/or $350 in-tank pump. Not to mention a nasty mess inside the house.[/QUOTE

Yessir, I couldn't agree more.

Comment

Working...
                  X