Question about well water systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about well water systems

The wife and I have started looking at houses to move sometime this year. We're looking further out of the subdivision areas since we would like more space.

We looked at one place in Argyle that I'm guessing was on a well system. There was a little shack behind the house that had a tank about twice the size of a big water heater and a little external air compressor that had a copper line tied to the top of the tank...I'm guessing to pressurize the water system.

This house turned out to be about a 1980 POS but it got me thinking about well water systems. I basically don't know ANYTHING about them, how they work, maintenance problems, etc. Should I avoid those like the plague?

It also got me thinking about available land with no water/septic/electricity and how costly it is to get all that setup in a case where we were to buy land with plans to build.

I'm hoping there have been several people on here that have gone through this and could provide some input. We'd really like to get further out of town and possibly build but that's stepping into an area that I could easily put my family in a bad situation if I'm not careful.

Water Wells are simple, think of it like a gas tank. You have the well, a motor and pump, anywhere from .25 hp up, then you have the pump end usually around 10 to 15 gpm. From the pump you have pipe that will typically have one or two check valves, the pipe leads to the surface, depending on who does it you could have a variety of things at the well head. At some point it will dump into a tank with a pressure switch. They are powered by electricity, either 230 or 460 volt, again depending, the motor will either be a single phase or three phase.

Sent from a bathroom.

Comment

^^^ sounds expensive if anything breaks.

What if you run out of water to pump?

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
        ^^^ sounds expensive if anything breaks.

What if you run out of water to pump?
        Then a lot of people are fucked.

They are actually pretty damn simple. Not much to them.
        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

So based on what I described about the tank in the shack, was that a well set-up? I should have taken a pic of it. So does everyone's property have a well of their own? How does a co-op work? Are they supplied by a well?

Comment

I had a well drilled last spring. $12000 for 460ft and 2hp. It delivers 5gpm and has a 80 gal storage tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
              I had a well drilled last spring. $12000 for 460ft and 2hp. It delivers 5gpm and has a 80 gal storage tank.

Any chance I can get the name of the company that did it? I'd like to run some questions by them.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                Any chance I can get the name of the company that did it? I'd like to run some questions by them.
                Bisidas water well drilling in Decatur. Would not recommended. I have had all sorts of sand issues and they just blame it on being a new well.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Working...
                X