Shower without a door? Any opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower without a door? Any opinions?

We just purchased a home, and although it is functional...we want to upgrade a few areas.

The master bathroom has a huge empty space, 4x4', on the entry end of the shower. It looks like either the builder couldn't budget a larger shower, or couldn't budget a larger tub...and ended up with an empty space for future upgrades.

I've been seeing a lot of showers with a half wall, glass on top, and then just a small cased opening which allows entry into the shower without any door or curtain. I've also seen a few where there is a half wall without glass.

The entry, in our case, could be 4'+ away from the water source, so splashing would be a minimal concern. A small lip could be built off the floor at the entry to prevent runoff, but the floor would obviously be made to drain.

I'm considering removing the existing composite shower, and making a tile/stone one with this doorless setup. I'm looking for opinions on this type of setup, if anyone has one.

I'd like a little more room in the shower, a little less glass door to clean, an updated look, and good use of the wasted space.
    And, yes, I really just want to put a big banging bench in there!

Input?

Something similar to these...

Thanks in advance

I hate no door showers because it screws up the air temp.
    1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
      I hate no door showers because it screws up the air temp.
      Damn...good call, I didn't even think about that.

Comment

Getting out of a shower sucks bad enough sometimes imagine having to shower in that same jacked up air temp situation lol

Comment

Getting out of a shower sucks bad enough sometimes imagine having to shower in that same jacked up air temp situation lol
          I wonder how they make it work?
          It looks like they all have big vents up top...not sure if they are actually vents or heaters.

To be honest though, I have enough room to dry off in the shower. If my doorway isn't too big I may not lose much more heat than a conventional tub/shower with a curtain. Especially since my water is at the far opposite end.

Something to think about for sure though...

Comment

BTW, a half wall like that is called a Pony Wall.

I agree about the door. Good call TR..

Comment

Heat rises guys.

Comment

OP. take a few showers with the door open when your AC is on about 70 It's easy to shut the door. Not as easy to put it back in place

Comment

You can do a frameless glass door to achieve a similar look and keep your soft skin warm.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                    You can do a frameless glass door to achieve a similar look and keep your soft skin warm.
                    I could...but glass is a PITA to keep clean when you're OCD.

BTW, Does BMCS have military reference?

Comment

Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
                      Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
                      Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
                      You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

OP. take a few showers with the door open when your AC is on about 70 It's easy to shut the door. Not as easy to put it back in place
                        I never run the a/c that cool. Too damn expensive!

Comment

Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
                          Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
                          Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
                          You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

That's a good idea to keep the air in. Badass shower, leah.

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnQ View Post
                              I could...but glass is a PITA to keep clean when you're OCD.

BTW, Does BMCS have military reference?
                              No, but I am a veteran. I have used those showers without any complaints btw. I will do one whenever we change things up, since we are in a new house.

Comment

Working...
                              X