Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to have a metal roof installed on a house...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to have a metal roof installed on a house...

Entertaining the idea of a metal roof instead of a conventional composition shingle roof. It's time for a new roof so why not check it out. Anyone have any experience with metal roofs or recommendations for installers?
    The Daily

10' F250 FX4 CC spatanized & deleted

We have replaced everything on the farm with metal.

It will last a long time. Very little maintenance, and cost was a huuge factor for us.

These days they have some awesome looking stuff you can use.

A local city a few miles down the road has a ordinance where you cant use metal. It might need to be checked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post

It will last a long time. Very little maintenance, and cost was a huuge factor for us.

A local city a few miles down the road has a ordinance where you cant use metal. It might need to be checked out.
      We live out in the country so there's no worry about ordinances. We've already constructed three bolt together steel buildings as well but this is a job I'm really not interested intackeling.
      The Daily

10' F250 FX4 CC spatanized & deleted

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post

You mind throwing a number out there? Sq. ft. of house, total price? Just so we can get an idea of what this costs.

Comment

I like the more modern look of the metal roof in residential applications but I always heard the price was substantially more than comp roofing (maybe not that much difference now with roofing material prices up).

Also, heard that insurance wont replace a metal roof thats been hail damaged because dents dont affect the functionality. Not sure if this is true or not....
          Last edited by miketyler; 01-15-2011, 06:07 AM.
          Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by miketyler View Post
            I like the more modern look of the metal roof in residential applications but I always heard the price was substantially more than comp roofing (maybe not that much difference now with roofing material prices up).

Also, heard that insurance wont replace a metal roof thats been hail damaged because dents dont affect the functionality. Not sure if this is true or not....
            You're right about the "cosmetic" damage and insurance coverage. There are gauges of metal roofing that are hail-resistant, but the price goes up considerably. Metal is a little louder, too.

Comment

The metal usually has a lifetime waranty and insurance companys will give you a discount for the no fire risk.

That said metal roofs are expensive around $300 to 350 a square (100sQ ft.). A 30 year comp roof is up to the 130 to 150 per square depending on the pitch. When you price metal make sure it is standing seam. You don't see any screws or nails and the seam is clamped together from top to bottom making the entire roof 1 piece. I would have a metal roof on my house in a second, if I could afford it. I have done a lot of porch and turret roofs in metal and copper. I have seen some housed done with r-panell, the same thing as on a metal building or barn. The screws(or nails) are in the ridge and last about 10 years before they start giving trouble(leaks).

Comment

Sometimes the color fades.
                In laws have a metal roof and it is chalkee looking after 16 yr.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post
                  Sometimes the color fades.
                  In laws have a metal roof and it is chalkee looking after 16 yr.
                  Paint is way better now the it was even 10 years ago.

The newest smp (siliconized modified polyester) is quite bad ass when it comes to fade/chalk, but some colors like the bright barn red still suck.

You can always go with kynar, but I don't think it is any better.

Current average on paint warranty is 40 year, covering chalk and fade, along with adhesion.

Anyone saying the warranty is longer on anything but kynar is a liar. The warranty comes from the paint manufacturer. Valspar, akzo knobel, kynar, are the big three, and the first two only offer a 40 year paint. The rest of the warranty is supplied by the company who formed the steel coil.

Currently 29ga and 26ga meet the same exact spec for hail damage, and they are both UL2218 rated, which is the classifications for the impact rating. Cost isn't anymore, but it does have to be a premium 40 year panel to carry the certification, which is the only thing I'd use on a home.

This will lower your home owners rate with most insurance companies. A severe hail storm will warrant replacement and most companies that aren't progressive will replace the roof. If a polystyrene insulation is used under the steel roofing you will hear no difference in rain. If applied directly to decking it can be a little louder.
                  Last edited by dblack1; 01-22-2011, 03:34 PM.

Comment

waranty for galvanized?

Comment

roofing

Do not put galvanized on your home, unless you want it to look like a barn.

Comment

Originally posted by sdun View Post
                        waranty for galvanized?
                        none most cases.

Galvalume on the the other hand is 25 yr if you get premium.

Galvalume can look great on a home. Seen it on several in texas, and a lot of homes on the gulf coast.

Comment

Working...
                        X