Its about time for a new AC system...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its about time for a new AC system...

any suggestions on who to use or about what it should cost?
    the house is 1998sq ft and i beleive was built in the 60's maybe 70's its electric (no gas)

I had to rebuild my internal unit and plenum. But I was on a serious budget and had a lot of help from my brother in law.

New attic unit ran me $812 (goodman) the "supplies" for repairing the plenum and mating it to the unit were around $100 and then TurboSkull did my a solid buy charging my system for a very good price, total I was under $1500. To do all of the above, some guy that was "hooking me up" quoted me $3300.

My outside unit won't last much longer. I was happy to get through one summer and if this summer is mild (as it is currently turning out to be) I think I can make another summer.

Comment

my outside coils have a small leak that seems to leak out over about a 1-2 years, the guy put about 3lbs of r22 in this morning.

i can replace the outside coils but the inside unit is probably the one from when the house was new and appears to be mostly clogged up so its probably time for the whole thing.

the guy also made a big deal about rerunning copper because it was 5/16" not 3/8"...

Comment

Whitelightening's dad.

Comment

A buddy replaced his system with Carrier's knock off brand, can't recall the name. Elec usage dropped drastically. It's been in for 3 years now with no issues.

For install, I know we have a few people on the board, but I can't recall any of their names. Brad uses a guy named Armando, that does good work for a good price. I have not used him myself, but several have, with no complaints that I've seen.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I have a Rheem unit that is over 15 years old and never had a problem other than minor maintenance

Comment

my brother is having to get his system replaced as well. he had a few company go out and quote him $4500. atleast it is a mild summer so far.

Comment

I got a new full system last year. We went with Trane XL20i. We replaced 2 units with one unit and zoning. The system has dampers that close and open to control upstairs and downstairs. It also has variable speed fan motors and 2 stage compressors. We run it cooler and our electricity cost has decreased by about 30% across the board. The energy usage is also much more linear. There is not a big spike in summer and winter. The energy usage seems to stay flat and slowly rise instead of spike up in the hot months.

We have a gas furnace and the new unit cut our gas bill down over 50% in the winter time and the heating is much more efficient.

It is a substantial investment but having a good system will pay off in the long run and the warranty is great so I have no worries that I will have to replace anything in 5 or even 10 years.

Comment

We can help depending on options and your budget. We also offer financing
                  81 LX
                  82 GT

Comment

Might help to know what part of town you're in. I know a guy in Collin County, that is awesome. And he's a Mustang guy too...

Comment

I'm in south ft worth

Comment

I haven't got but one quote so far. $5200 for the basic electric heat

I think I can get it as low as $4250

Comment

Working...
                        X