Refrigerator repair/mod help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator repair/mod help

I don't know jack about refrigerators but I found something I want to do with one. My question is, if I position the fridge where it's on it's back and I mount/modify the compressor so it is upright, will everything still function as normal? The fridge will be elevated so the working parts on the back will not be damaged. TIA

Saw the old "make you old fridge into a cooler" thing did you? Looked pretty neat, didn't read the article, it looked like it was more of a large ice chest type cooler though. It still used the compressor?

And to answer your question, as long as the compressor is upright, it should work just fine.

Comment

Refrigerators cool from the top down generally, if you lay it down it'll only cool on the freezer side most likely. You can rig a computer fan to circulate the air though and it'll probably be okay. If you are trying to make a kegerator you'd be way better off with a Keezer design.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
        Refrigerators cool from the top down generally, if you lay it down it'll only cool on the freezer side most likely. You can rig a computer fan to circulate the air though and it'll probably be okay. If you are trying to make a kegerator you'd be way better off with a Keezer design.
        Depends on how old it is, model, mfr, etc, but I generally agree with this. And in theory, yes, if you rotate the compressor compartment, it should work. You will need to figure something out to assist with air circulation within the refrigerator.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Then when your done you can make a kegerator/thread so we can follow along...
          ./ ____ _ _\.
          (]]]_ o _[[[)
          \o_FORD_o/
          |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

Originally posted by 4.6coupe View Post
            Then when your done you can make a kegerator/thread so we can follow along...
            My recent build

Scooped up a free fridge and ordered a conversion kit. Can't wait to get the tanks filled.
            07 f250-family truckster
            08 Denali -baby hauler
            52 f1-rust bucket
            05 Jeep tj. Buggy
            livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
              Sweet!!!
              Last edited by 4.6coupe; 06-12-2013, 07:07 PM.
              ./ ____ _ _\.
              (]]]_ o _[[[)
              \o_FORD_o/
              |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. The one I saw was used as an ice chest only so they just put drain valves in it. Just thought it would be cool to make it functional as well if power was available. It was elevated about 18 inches off the ground and the entire thing was framed in wood along with the doors. It didn't look home built or cheap at all. It would be a nice addition to the backyard under a patio.

Comment

Something else you could do is plug it up on the patio and use it as a refrigerator to keep your dinks cold.
                  This message has been brought to you by Lazy Brad.

Comment

Yeah just looking for something different. I'll have a lot of spare time on my hands soon so figured what the hell

Comment

Working...
                    X