Sunken bathtub/shower remodel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunken bathtub/shower remodel

I am looking at an investment property that has a crazy tiled bath/shower that Is about 18 inches below the normal floor slab. What would be the best way to remodel it.

Raise the drain, fill with concrete?

I have never seen a shower like this, actually is kinda creepy. Built in 1977.
    2006 Civic SI
    2009 Pilot
    1988 GT
    CRF50

Widebody whore.

I gotta see pictures of this one!

I am not a professional, so I don't have any better ideas than yours. I'm just curious to see it if you do not mind.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I'm dumb. I didn't take any pictures. Probably the strangest thing I have seen in a house.
      2006 Civic SI
      2009 Pilot
      1988 GT
      CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

The shower stall in my last house was a step down from the normal floor level. Maybe 6-8 inch step down. I thought it was cool. Less chances of getting water in the floor outside the shower.
        Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

I actually saw a house while viewing houses to buy. Both showeres/tub were elevated from the bathroom floor. On top of the steps with was about three step sat the toilet. the a step or two the the standup shower/tub. ugliest/ oddest showeres.

Comment

I wouldn't mind my shower being like that, honestly.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Leave it. I've always dropped my showers 4-6" for several reasons. The most obvious is to keep water IN the shower. From a practical standpoint, it's to keep the pan well below the floor so that when the pan DOES leak (and it will over time), the water will be contained. Everything will still drain and you don't risk damaging floor tile/carpet/trim/cabinets. Put glass walls all around it to open it up more.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                Leave it. I've always dropped my showers 4-6" for several reasons. The most obvious is to keep water IN the shower. From a practical standpoint, it's to keep the pan well below the floor so that when the pan DOES leak (and it will over time), the water will be contained. Everything will still drain and you don't risk damaging floor tile/carpet/trim/cabinets. Put glass walls all around it to open it up more.
                Oh now you've done it. In before 8mpg starts talking about voodoo to keep water sealed in suspension for eternity...

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                  4-6 inches is fine, but this is much more than that. If I buy it I will raise it about 12 inches, talked to a tile installer that told me how I should do it.
                  2006 Civic SI
                  2009 Pilot
                  1988 GT
                  CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                    Oh now you've done it. In before 8mpg starts talking about voodoo to keep water sealed in suspension for eternity...

lol...I just say if you are going to do it...do it right. I have done Kerdi before but I may try hydroban when I do my bathroom at the new house.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                      lol...I just say if you are going to do it...do it right. I have done Kerdi before but I may try hydroban when I do my bathroom at the new house.
                      it will leak, eventually.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Fill it till about 4 inches from level. Build a sloped sand mix mud bed and tile. I wouldnseal it well with red guard and it will be fine
                        One day at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                          it will leak, eventually.
                          Probably...but much better chance than a standard plastic liner that probably isnt folded well. Id rather have a membrane above the shower pan and one below.

Comment

Flex Seal

Comment

Working...
                            X