Modifying work bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying work bench

So I've got some extra time on my hands in the next week or so and figured I'd make a new work bench in the garage. I managed to find plans for one I really like:

http://www.familyhandyman.com/worksh...h/step-by-step

I'll probably make it a little longer and wider, but the main question i had was is there any easy way to cut out openings on the front to make some drawers? If you look at the pictures of the assembly, the B and D frames have room for a potential drawer, however I've never done that sort of work before and I have no idea if it would be difficult or if it would potentially ruin the frame.

If you use 2x8s instead of 2x4s you could.
    07 f250-family truckster
    08 Denali -baby hauler
    52 f1-rust bucket
    05 Jeep tj. Buggy
    livin the double-wide dream

Comment

As mentioned above yes

The trick with those plans (I've built a couple and know a lot who build that one too) is the moment you go from the plans, you might as well go full custom. The joy of those plans is minimal waste. What do you need drawers for - just curious?

It has a lot of space for peg board and stuff....etc...etc...etc
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

2x8s sound simple enough, but I was hoping there might be a little more info on exactly how to properly cut out the opening, install rollers, rails, etc.

Inevitably on any workbench, "stuff" will collect and I prefer to have it in drawers rather than on the workspace.

Comment

The same site those plans are on, have a lot of detailed info on not only how to install drawer, but how to build them...etc...etc.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I need to get off my ass and build a new workbench myself.

Comment

Figured I'd provide an update...I did finish the bench and I like it a lot. I did use the 2x8s as suggested for the main frame, however I haven't cut stuff out yet as I'm still a little wary about how many holes I can safely cut without compromising the support provided by it. I'll get around to it eventually.

Made a couple of modifications, such as the height is 4'. I have always hated benches that were too low that you have to stoop or bend over to do anything, plus the lower shelf allows me to put my foot up without my knee banging into the frame. I also added a 2x8 on the rear behind the mid-shelf area so that stuff placed on the shelf won't easily fall off.

One thing I'd probably do just a little different is how I built the top shelf frame. I put in a fluorescent light screwed into the bottom of it. Works fine, except that when you stack stuff on the middle shelf the light fixture is sometimes in the way. If you make the top frame a little wider, like maybe an extra 6-8" while keeping your middle shelf (which is a 2x8) the same width, then this should allow the light to hang over out of the way a little more.

Comment

Working...
              X