custom home prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom home prices

is it un-realistic to get into a 2000-2200sqft custom home for around $150,000? That is home only the lot would already be paid for. I was talking to a buddy that is a framer and was telling me he thought i could get into one for around that. he said in his opinion if i went with more basic stuff and didn't go all out i could do it closer to $120-135,000. curious what some of you with more knowledge on the subject thought because this sounded low to me...

I just bought a 2200 sq ft house in west ft worth for 164,000 but all out everything I wanted pretty much picked out everything and got 2 jacuzzi tubs and stand up tiled showers plus all new appliances including washer and dryer not to bad could have been worse

Comment

Are you planning on doing any work? At ~$68-70/ft, without sweat equity, the house is going to be very basic.

Comment

Originally posted by Smashmix View Post
        I just bought a 2200 sq ft house in west ft worth for 164,000 but all out everything I wanted pretty much picked out everything and got 2 jacuzzi tubs and stand up tiled showers plus all new appliances including washer and dryer not to bad could have been worse
        was that a brand new home or a previously built one?

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
        Are you planning on doing any work? At ~$68-70/ft, without sweat equity, the house is going to be very basic.
        no i dont want to do any work. i asked that same thing and he said the $150,000 would be without me doing anything and still have a few upgrades. when doing the price per ft wouldn't you add in the cost of the paid lot as well? i was assuming you would which would jump the price to around $81-90. i was under the impression that most people that get new homes built have the home builder find them a lot as well and roll it all in.

Comment

Also depends on area, if your doing septic or running line with permit.

Are you drawing your own plans or getting them online somewhere.

Emailed my chief architect sketches to a couple of builders and cheapest quote I got was for 82sq ft without land. Didn't upgrade a whole lot either just the way design was setup I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
            was that a brand new home or a previously built one?

no i dont want to do any work. i asked that same thing and he said the $150,000 would be without me doing anything and still have a few upgrades. when doing the price per ft wouldn't you add in the cost of the paid lot as well? i was assuming you would which would jump the price to around $81-90. i was under the impression that most people that get new homes built have the home builder find them a lot as well and roll it all in.
            I was just figuring the price per sq ft, as you said the lot was clear. Materials have gone way up.

Comment

Not even built yet pouring concrete next month

Comment

Originally posted by Smashmix View Post
                Not even built yet pouring concrete next month
                sent you a pm. wanna make sure im not missing something...

Comment

From personal experience, keep an eye on the costs' you're quoted. It may be cheap to buy, but it's not cheap to build. Big difference in the two. Septic alone will run $6500 for a large house, and closer to $5800 for a small one. Some of that cost is offset by not paying for a sewer tap (which can run $4k in some municipalities). $82 a ft won't have many upgrades, and that price can be misleading. Is that including a 2 car garage? 3 car garage? A big back porch? What kind of light allowance? Floor allowance? There are a ton of variables in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                    From personal experience, keep an eye on the costs' you're quoted. It may be cheap to buy, but it's not cheap to build. Big difference in the two. Septic alone will run $6500 for a large house, and closer to $5800 for a small one. Some of that cost is offset by not paying for a sewer tap (which can run $4k in some municipalities). $82 a ft won't have many upgrades, and that price can be misleading. Is that including a 2 car garage? 3 car garage? A big back porch? What kind of light allowance? Floor allowance? There are a ton of variables in there.
                    Basically not much to add here, variables kill you. IMHO, I'd hold out, save and build a custom home that you really WANT, not that what you get stuck with due to budget at the moment.

It's SO SO SO easy to go over budget just on personal desires - not to mention the 1001 other ways budget can go out the window. Vertnut just skimmed it for you.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

It all depends on your definition of custom. My house is 2950sqft and came out to $85ft or so. I found a plan online and modified it to fit our needs then had various builders bid it. I didnt choose the cheapest bid but the one I felt the most confident in for the price. I was wrong and had to watch every step and have them fix multiple problems. My house is brick/stone and alot of tile inside. Cabinets are oak and solid wood with granite in the kitchen and bathrooms. All fixtures are oil rubbed bronze. Living room has hard scraped hardwood floors. All appliances are Kitchenaid stainless.

Also to note all exterior walls are 2x6 on a 9' plate. I have r19 in the walls with 1" foam board on the exterior and radiant barrier decking on the roof with r50 blowed in the attic. Hvac is top of the line 2 stage heat pump York Effinity.
                      Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
                      Last edited by fordracing19; 06-15-2013, 07:46 AM.
                      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I dont see it done for $150k unless you are using some cheap finishes. Most builders I have stopped by and seen want $100/ft with wood floors, granite counters, etc. If you want laminate floors, builder grade cabinets, etc, it is more possible.

Comment

My parents found a guy that was 10%+cost. He is also working with my parents and letting them do some of the leg work and not charging the 10%.
                          "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                            I dont see it done for $150k unless you are using some cheap finishes. Most builders I have stopped by and seen want $100/ft with wood floors, granite counters, etc. If you want laminate floors, builder grade cabinets, etc, it is more possible.
                            In line with this, if you do go with cheaper floors/counter tops and so forth - these are all things that can be upgraded with minor hassles later.
                            Originally posted by MR EDD
                            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                            X