Need help with electric vs gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with electric vs gas

Need some info on whether or not to do all electric or have gas also. The new home we are building is in the county with a builder who makes the home all electric but will run the lines for gas if wanted. It's an extra cost that I don't know yet.

My question is I've heard gas is more efficient but at 8 cents or so a kilowatt, how much more am I really saving with gas? I'd have to get a big ass tank outside, bury it so it doesn't look bad, and have it refilled I've heard 2 times or so a year. I'm guessing that's several hundred dollars each time.

This is a long term house for us so in regards to resale value, I'd think it would be better to have gas available with electric but as far as using it in the home, I need some help on deciding.

Electric vs propane. I had to decide that also and didnt want to deal with the yard wart. I went with a 2 stage heat pump and a Marathon water heater. The only thing I miss is the gas jet on the patio for my grill. Build the house efficient and electric wont be to bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
      Electric vs propane. I had to decide that also and didnt want to deal with the yard wart. I went with a 2 stage heat pump and a Marathon water heater. The only thing I miss is the gas jet on the patio for my grill. Build the house efficient and electric wont be to bad.

Any idea how much more your elertric bill is compared to what the gas would have cost you?

Comment

Originally posted by houstondallas View Post
        Any idea how much more your elertric bill is compared to what the gas would have cost you?
        Propane is NOT exactly like natural gas. It fluctuates in price like gasoline. A tank can easily run $1500 unless you "lease" it from a propane company who you sign an agreement with. You are then locked into their propane prices. It's much better if you can shop your own because it can vary by $1 a gallon depending on the company. If you really want propane, I'd stick to tankless water heaters, a cooktop, and fireplaces. At $2.50-$3 a gallon, It can run $6-$700 to fill your tank (300 gallon tank). Something to consider: if you lose electricity (you're in the country), you will still have 50-60 gallons of hot water per tank. Tankless units will have none. If he doesn't typically include it, expect the builder to hit you for an extra $1200-$1500 in extra plumbing charges to run lines for the above and another $600 or so to cover the extra cost of the tankless unit and cooktop.
        Last edited by Vertnut; 07-06-2013, 04:46 AM.

Comment

We have propane. the price does go up and down a lot. It pays to watch it. I'd rather have my propane than electric. We're on an electric co op, so are rates are pretty decent still. 2200 sq foot, electric was $150 last month. It will go up during the hot months, but in October/November its under a hundred.
          I just got propane (Summer can be good time to buy) and it was $375. I THINK that was 200 gallons.
          Plus you can fill your grill bottles right at home if you buy a kit.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
            We have propane. the price does go up and down a lot. It pays to watch it. I'd rather have my propane than electric. We're on an electric co op, so are rates are pretty decent still. 2200 sq foot, electric was $150 last month. It will go up during the hot months, but in October/November its under a hundred.
            I just got propane (Summer can be good time to buy) and it was $375. I THINK that was 200 gallons.
            Plus you can fill your grill bottles right at home if you buy a kit.
            What runs on propane at your place? Propane for under $2 is unheard of. I'd call them back out and top it off.

Comment

So if it was y'all's choice, all electric and be done with it or should I do all the stuff to get gas too. (Run lines, buy tank, fill it, ect).

Comment

Originally posted by houstondallas View Post
                So if it was y'all's choice, all electric and be done with it or should I do all the stuff to get gas too. (Run lines, buy tank, fill it, ect).
                It's all about personal preference, and there are tons of factors that come into play. Every situation is different concerning short and long-term costs' that you incur. Who's your electrical service and what's their rate? Are the electric units he's installing high efficiency units?

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                  It's all about personal preference, and there are tons of factors that come into play. Every situation is different concerning short and long-term costs' that you incur. Who's your electrical service and what's their rate? Are the electric units he's installing high efficiency units?
                  Yeah I hear ya. It's just so much to learn and I don't want to make the wrong choice. Trying to get as informed as possible.

We locked in like 7-8cents per kw. I'm pretty sure the house will have high efficientcy units, good insulation and radiant barrier. I think gas might be cheaper use wise, but set up and refill are pretty substantial costs. Thousands of dollars.

Comment

My house is 3000ft and electric was $160 last month. Highest was $210 I think last year. It also feeds my shop and water well. I do have 2x6 construction with r19 plus r5 foam board and r50 in the attic. For cooktop we went with Kithenaid induction 36"

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                      Propane is NOT exactly like natural gas. It fluctuates in price like gasoline. A tank can easily run $1500 unless you "lease" it from a propane company who you sign an agreement with. You are then locked into their propane prices. It's much better if you can shop your own because it can vary by $1 a gallon depending on the company. If you really want propane, I'd stick to tankless water heaters, a cooktop, and fireplaces. At $2.50-$3 a gallon, It can run $6-$700 to fill your tank (300 gallon tank). Something to consider: if you lose electricity (you're in the country), you will still have 50-60 gallons of hot water per tank. Tankless units will have none. If he doesn't typically include it, expect the builder to hit you for an extra $1200-$1500 in extra plumbing charges to run lines for the above and another $600 or so to cover the extra cost of the tankless unit and cooktop.
                      I had to read it twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things, but @2.50-3.00 per gallon that's 750-900 per tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                        I had to read it twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things, but @2.50-3.00 per gallon that's 750-900 per tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
                        Yessir. Am I wrong? My SIL just paid $2.30 a gallon after shopping all over Hunt county. They never let them run below a 1/4 tank.

Comment

My house is 3000ft and electric was $160 last month. Highest was $210 I think last year. It also feeds my shop and water well. I do have 2x6 construction with r19 plus r5 foam board and r50 in the attic. For cooktop we went with Kithenaid induction 36"

I try to tell folks this all the time. R19 and R50 are more than sufficient for a new home to be cheaply powered, especially using really good windows. More is lost through glass than most people could even imagine. The new electric water heaters are very efficient and the new 15-17 seer heat-pumps are great for Texas winters. Natural gas is always better, but when it's not available, you can argue both sides.

Comment

I have the York Affinity HP at 15.5 seer with my 5t unit. At a smaller tonnage it is a 18seer unit. The backup is locked out until 30* The backup never had to turn on this past winter.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Mine is 4500 sq ft with SIPs construction and geothermal - around 250ish or so during the hot times, sometimes 200-220.

Insulation/etc is clutch. When the geothermal exterior stuff craps out, I can convert to a conventional system and probably not notice much of a difference.
                              Originally posted by MR EDD
                              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                              X