Blown attic insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown attic insulation

Have any of you blown insulation into your attic? I am in an older house and the hedting and cooling bills are pretty high. It is a rental, so I will have to convince the owner it is a good investment. It is an older pier/beam house. The current attic insulation is fiberglass batts. It is doubled up in a few areas, however it has compressed a good bit.

My main concern is that there is an attic fan, is it still viable knowing that? We don't use it since there aren't any screens on the windows and we have an indoor only cat.

If you have done it, what kind of decrease did you see in your utility bills?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

If you already have fiberglass batts in the attic, I would just add another layer so they are doubled. There is a big debate in blow in vs fiberglass batt, but batt will allow much easier access to wiring and what not if you ever needed to modify anything. It doesnt settle either like blown in.

That said, blown in is probably a little cheaper and faster to put in.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
      If you already have fiberglass batts in the attic, I would just add another layer so they are doubled. There is a big debate in blow in vs fiberglass batt, but batt will allow much easier access to wiring and what not if you ever needed to modify anything. It doesnt settle either like blown in.

That said, blown in is probably a little cheaper and faster to put in.
      It is doubled over the living room. Everywhere else, it looks like it has compressed.
      As for the future, its a rental. Not sure if we will buy when our lease is up in April or wait another year. Looking for ways to lower utility costs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

In an older home like yours I would assume it would help quite a bit. I did the spray in about 6 months ago in my house, Russell. Seeing as how my home is new and really energy efficient I'm not expecting great results. The blow in stuff is super easy. It took me 3 hours from start to finish with only about an hour in the attic. Sure it may settle, but I blew in enough extra to account for that. The rental is free with purchase of X amount of bags. All you need is a helper to load the machine. Your gf should be good at that!

Comment

Working...
        X