Pool prep for winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pool prep for winter?

first time pool owner wanted to know how to prepare my pool for the upcoming winter. Do I drain the pool or keep it running if so how much how often at what temperature should I be concerned?
    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

You live in Aledo, not Alaska. I never drained my pool. It has to get DAMN cold before your pool freezes over, especially running the pump. Draining your pool for any length of time can create some problems for the plaster, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
      You live in Aledo, not Alaska. I never drained my pool. It has to get DAMN cold before your pool freezes over, especially running the pump. Draining your pool for any length of time can create some problems for the plaster, too.
      Agreed, do NOT drain the pool, just treat it like summer, keeping the levels will requires a lot less chemicals in winter. The freeze guard will kick in the pump whenever it's below 38 (or wherever you set it). During December-February you might set the pump to run at night - that way it's not running all night on the freeze guard , then running all day on the timer.

Comment

Good to hear. I'm assuming I should open all the valves to ensure all pipes have moving water? I also will have a working heater by Dec. Is there any benefit to keeping the water warm via the heater?
        Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
        There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
          Good to hear. I'm assuming I should open all the valves to ensure all pipes have moving water? I also will have a working heater by Dec. Is there any benefit to keeping the water warm via the heater?
          Yes, no
          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
          86 SVO - Sold
          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post

Draining the pool might welcome algea to whatever little water is left in the pipes. Heated water jacuzzi.........

Comment

I've always had good luck with this weekly treatment during the winter: vacuum out any dirt and leaves, add one pound shock and two capfuls of PhosFree (this removes phosphates, which is food for algae). Keep the pH in check to protect the plaster.

Don't drain it.

You don't have to run the pump very much. Just run it for a couple of hours after adding chemicals and maybe once again in the middle of the week. Run the pump anytime the temperature is freezing.

That's pretty much it. Your chemicals will last a lot longer in the winter and spring, so you don't have to add nearly as much as during the summer. If you see any algae starting to grow, you can get more aggressive with the chlorine, the PhosFree, or increase the pH some.
              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Add antifreeze.

Comment

If you're a first time pool owner I would suggest finding a " pool school." They will come out to your place and explain everything to you. I did it when I bought my first house that had a pool. I fumbled around with it for a few months before I called them out. It's only $80.00 or so and worth every penny.

Comment

if you do drain it, post up. i'll swing by with my lance mountain.

god bless.
                    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Darren, if you have any trees, you might look into a poop cover. It cuts down on what gets into your pool, including sunlight, that helps keep the algae growth to a minimum. We dont have any trees, or I would get one for mine.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                        I've always had good luck with this weekly treatment during the winter: vacuum out any dirt and leaves, add one pound shock and two capfuls of PhosFree (this removes phosphates, which is food for algae). Keep the pH in check to protect the plaster.

Don't drain it.

You don't have to run the pump very much. Just run it for a couple of hours after adding chemicals and maybe once again in the middle of the week. Run the pump anytime the temperature is freezing.

That's pretty much it. Your chemicals will last a lot longer in the winter and spring, so you don't have to add nearly as much as during the summer. If you see any algae starting to grow, you can get more aggressive with the chlorine, the PhosFree, or increase the pH some.

This post convinced me I never need a pool.

Screw all that work.

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
                          Agreed, do NOT drain the pool, just treat it like summer, keeping the levels will requires a lot less chemicals in winter. The freeze guard will kick in the pump whenever it's below 38 (or wherever you set it). During December-February you might set the pump to run at night - that way it's not running all night on the freeze guard , then running all day on the timer.
                          This is all you need to know.. solid advice... this is what i have done with mine for the last 8 years and no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                            This post convinced me I never need a pool.

Screw all that work.
                            ??

It's a half hour of "work" every weekend to keep it maintained, like you probably do with your car.
                            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Fuck having a pool. We have a 36,000 gallon money pit and I absolutely hate it.
                              www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X