Any Track lightning experts in here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Track lightning experts in here?

I wanting to remove my light fixture on my ceiling fan in my living room and add track lighting. Is this really doable with track lighting?

My living room is 18'x23'.

I'm putting in a 110" projection setup to replace my plasma. Although I did buy a SI Black Diamond screen, I still want to avoid direct light on the screen using some sort of directional lighting.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

No you can't do that.
    2006 Civic SI
    2009 Pilot
    1988 GT
    CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
      No you can't do that.
      Track lightning just doesn't put out enough light or what?
      "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Comment

Zeus does not approve

Comment

Does the room have two power leads going to the ceiling fan or just one? If you have one switch that powers the fan and light, then they'll be a little more work involved to get the ability to power the fan and the track lighting independently.

Actually, even if there's two switches, one for the light and one for the fan, you'll still have to modify the dome trim piece that covers the light box so that you can run the other power lead out and to the track lighting.

Comment

Track lighting is pretty outdated.. You should do recessed can lights.

Comment

I agree, I think this would be a little easier to tie in as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                Does the room have two power leads going to the ceiling fan or just one? If you have one switch that powers the fan and light, then they'll be a little more work involved to get the ability to power the fan and the track lighting independently.

Actually, even if there's two switches, one for the light and one for the fan, you'll still have to modify the dome trim piece that covers the light box so that you can run the other power lead out and to the track lighting.
                That's not a problem, I already have a unused switch/power for whatever reason.

My question is more can track lighting light up a room that big? I have never seen it used just to light up a room, just to accent pictures on a wall etc.

Wiring isn't the issue, I could do that in my sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                  Track lighting is pretty outdated.. You should do recessed can lights.
                  That was my other option. My wife just wanted track lighting to shine on the fireplace and our built in book shelves.

I did see some can lighting that was directional to an extent.

Ultimately it's what the wife wants.

Comment

I see. That extra switch either runs up to the fan or powers an outlet like what you'd see in an apartment. Our bedroom has two leads going to the light. When I replaced the old fan/light with a remote controlled fan/light, I just capped off the unused lead.

How many bulbs does the current light have? Are you using 40, 60 or 100 watt bulbs? Compare that with how many lumens each light in the track puts out.

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
                      That was my other option. My wife just wanted track lighting to shine on the fireplace and our built in book shelves.

I did see some can lighting that was directional to an extent.

Ultimately it's what the wife wants.
                      Yeah, based on what you are wanting I think the cans would be best. Even in a room that size, just a couple along each wall would probably be good. Then just make sure not to install any on the wall with the screen, or at least put them on a separate switch..

In fact, I doubt track lighting would work well for general lighting in a big room, unless you had several.

And yes, you can get directional can lights for accent lighting.

Comment

I have 4 recessed lights with fluorescent bulbs equivalent to 60 watt bulbs and that puts out plenty of light. Our living room is 19x20 or 19x21, something like that.

If you planned on going with the modern-looking track lighting that uses those little 3" bulbs, I'd do plenty of research to make sure you're going to get the amount of light you want.

Comment

Thanks, this is about what I figured.

Ill start looking into can lighting then. A little bit more of a pain to install, but it would look better in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                          X