2 story house - upstairs temp always hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 story house - upstairs temp always hot

Our 2 yo house is a large open floor plan with 2 story ceiling through out. We keep downstairs temp on 70 degrees and don't even have the upstairs temp control on heat beca use it would never turn on anyway. The temp control always reads the upstairs temp between 76-79 degrees. Plus because of the warmth upstairs, it's always crazy statically charged. You touch anything metal and get quite the shock. Pisses me off. I understand that heat rises and it will be warmer to an extent upstairs, but thissee ms ridiculous. It's our first 2 story house, I'm curious if this is the norm or is something not proportioned right with heat distribution?
    2002 4.6L 5spd S281

So fast i make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales

Originally posted by spederman View Post
    Our 2 yo house is a large open floor plan with 2 story ceiling through out. We keep downstairs temp on 70 degrees and don't even have the upstairs temp control on heat beca use it would never turn on anyway. The temp control always reads the upstairs temp between 76-79 degrees. Plus because of the warmth upstairs, it's always crazy statically charged. You touch anything metal and get quite the shock. Pisses me off. I understand that heat rises and it will be warmer to an extent upstairs, but thissee ms ridiculous. It's our first 2 story house, I'm curious if this is the norm or is something not proportioned right with heat distribution?
    that and a divorce is why im moving to a 1 story! wait till summer. even with 2 units, that sucker was still too hot to be up there.

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

My first guess would be to kick on ceiling fans to push that hot air back down. Otherwise, may have to crack some windows.

My only direct experience was with a ranch home with an upstairs bonus room and it would always been 80-90 degrees during the winter (during the summer too). For that purpose AC/Windows...etc did help.

However, in your case it would be better to figure out how to get that hot air circulated throughout the home. I'm making some assumptions based off your description though. The sell extensions...etc for ceiling fans so you could have it down 3' or more from the tall ceilings and mixing up the air a little bit.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Do you have separate systems for up and down stairs or is it one unit running off a damper system? My house is similar, but there's normally no more than a 2 degree variation at any time, summer or winter. One unit runs my whole house.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
          Do you have separate systems for up and down stairs or is it one unit running off a damper system? My house is similar, but there's normally no more than a 2 degree variation at any time, summer or winter. One unit runs my whole house.
          That's a great point. The dampers may need adjustment as well.

Comment

It's 2 completely separate systems for both floors (AC and heat). I guess glad the master bedroom is downstairs lol. I'll try leaving the ceiling fans on upstairs and see if it helps.
            2002 4.6L 5spd S281

So fast i make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales

Comment

The direction of them matters, but if they are just in a room it likely won't help that much. My guess is in there needs to be some in those big open areas.

Comment

Working...
              X