Best way to wire 2 flood lights to existing light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to wire 2 flood lights to existing light

I currently have 1 flood light in my backyard that's connected to a switch in my bedroom. I'd like to add 2 more flood lights to the same switch. The wire to the installed light is ran through the attic and there is plenty of slack to do some work. I'm thinking the best way to wire them up is to install some sort of 4-way juntion box in the attic that ties them all together.

So would it work to have the switched wire coming from the bedroom feeding the junction box, then having the 3 lights coming off of this? Most of the schematics online have a live wire feeding the box, then having the switched wire coming off of this. I won't have a live wire into the box, just a switched wire.

See diagrams below.

Attached Files

Your existing idea will work. Most of the online diagrams may be referring to you adding a new breaker and everything out from there. Use a metal junction box, secure it to a joist and secure all of your wiring with the appropriate hardware. I would attach each additional light to its own j box and upgrade to a heavier switch as well. I don't know actual code, but any time I've run new electrical, I staple each wire 18 inches out from the box and then every 36 inches. Brad can probably come in and provide some additional info, but I've added switched floodlights, overhead and under cabinet lighting using the above methods.

Comment

I agree... simple junction box and some red wire caps.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
        I agree... simple junction box and some red wire caps.
        So no issue tying 4 wires together with caps?

Comment

Not a problem at all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
          2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

One more stupid question:

I read that metal junction boxes should be grounded. Where should I ground it if it's installed in the attic?

Comment

A pigtail off the ground wire in the box

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
              2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Installed them today and they fired up without a hitch. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                X