What type of grass to plant???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of grass to plant???

On both sides of my house, the bermuda won't grow fro shit. Too much shade I guess, and shit for dirt from the builder doesn't help. The bermuda in the front and back are doing OK, but the sides are pretty much just dirt now. I don't want st augusitine, so any other type of grass do good with little sunlight? I'm guess it only gets a couple hours a day when the sun is overhead, otherwise the houses block the sun form getting there.

I'm open to either seeds or sod to get it started, just want something other than damn dirt/mud this spring!

I had about 1/4 acre or so after I mulched down some trees that was just bare soil. I bought a 25 pound bag of Kentucky 31 and just threw it in a spreader. That stuff came up great and made it through summer with out me ever doing anything but mowing it. I just dropped another 50 pounds in the front and back screwing around. We will see how this little experiment turns out. I have some solid Bermuda behind my house I over seeded with Scotts Bermuda mix last fall. We will see what works better. No weeds where the Kentucky is also which I thought was a little odd also, and it was green year round. It may have yellowed a tad mid summer.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I wonder where our resident lawn jockey ran off to.

Comment

St Augustine is the bomb.

Comment

Why don't you want to try St. Augustine?

Comment

Wouldn't the st Augustine try to take over?

Comment

2 grasses enter, 1 leaves.

Comment

Who
                Run
                Front
                Yard?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                  St Augustine is the bomb.
                  If you love to water and maintain things. I will admit my parents house has a lush green St Augustine yard, but holy shit they water and mow a lot. I like a easier to maintain yard, with just enough grass to keep the dogs feet clean when it rains. I actually thought about doing the synthetic, turf, grass, look a like thing, in the front.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

St. Augustine rocks your face.

Comment

I wish my whole yard was St Augustine. The shaded side has some, and I water the fuck out of it hoping it will take over the front yard.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Fescue/Rye (landscaper's) mix. It'll grow in the shade in the summer, stay green in the winter, and blend in with the bermuda.
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

River rock

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                            Fescue/Rye (landscaper's) mix. It'll grow in the shade in the summer, stay green in the winter, and blend in with the bermuda.
                            How would that do up my way? I need to get something down after clearing out the front yard

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                              this, except for the Bermuda (for the shade).
                              you can get solid fescue though, no need for rye as it will dye out and as stated above , just add some new each year as fescue will only grow where the seed lands, it will not spread.

Comment

Working...
                              X