No announcement yet.

Radiant Barrier on One Story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those look great, but i would imagine they would be a nightmare to put on with such a shallow roof. especially 18 of em!

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
      Those look great, but i would imagine they would be a nightmare to put on with such a shallow roof. especially 18 of em!
      Staple gun FTW!

Guy I worked with a few years ago had that company that did the free insulation stuff also put these in.

Our attic is huge, I could play basketball in it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dinger View Post
        Not sure if someone else posted this but check out the Take a load off texas thing that Oncor is doing. (house must be all electric)

I just had my insulation done when they came out to do it they rated it at 4" of R22 and after they finished it was 30" of R30 (I dont know what the numbers mean but there is a shit ton of insulation up there now) They did this at no cost to me.. Oncor pays it.

The guy I used name was Kenny from 1st Green Solutions and his number is 1-817-609-0708
        Homeboy Kenny tried to pull a fast one. Came on out about 20 minutes ago (no big deal, just an hour and a half late) , looked through the attic and begin an initial inspection. Then he "talked to his boss" and "found out" that the Oncor program just ended a week ago and ran out of funds. Wanted to get us to try to do a special one time service at 70 cents a square foot as their price. I said thanks but nope, and off they went.

Call up Oncor, and they have not heard anything about funds ending, and that if that was the case, it would be listed on the website, which me and the customer service rep both went through and couldnt find anything. I informed them that Kenny was likely trying to bill us AND oncor for any services rendered.

The oncor rep was taking it from there, but they recommended me calling another provider.

Comment

You waiting till winter to do it??? Hell, get on it man!

Comment

Got my first electric bill, forgot to post up.
            I have my thermostat set as follows

5am-3pm - 74 degrees
            3pm-9pm - 72 degrees
            9pm-5am - 70 degrees, but often kick it down to 68.

$89 for my first full months bill.
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
              You waiting till winter to do it??? Hell, get on it man!
              This guy was backlogged until today. I figured i would rather wait for a referenced guy than someone else.

Calling someone else tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                Got my first electric bill, forgot to post up.
                I have my thermostat set as follows

5am-3pm - 74 degrees
                3pm-9pm - 72 degrees
                9pm-5am - 70 degrees, but often kick it down to 68.

$89 for my first full months bill.
                mkay

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                  mkay
                  Follow up to my first post on page 1...
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

This guy was backlogged until today. I figured i would rather wait for a referenced guy than someone else.

Calling someone else tomorrow.
                    I used http://www.iactonenergy.com/index.html and was pleased with the services performed. He was professional, honest and didn't pressure me in to buying anything.

I was actually surprised at how low our energy loss % was for the age of our home. We have the sheet style radiant barrier and all the ducting was replaced before we moved in. Throughout remodeling, I've sealed every window, every exterior door and added solar screens. Our weakest link is the age of our hvac system, but he communicated where we were and showed me the leaks he found as he found them so I could feel air coming in and going out. He made suggestions on what he thought could help and just how much help it would be, even though there wasn't much, and left the rest up to me.

I just had them reseal all of the hvac ducting and the air handler in the attic. We were getting poor air flow to the master bedroom due to a poor routing design in the duct work so I had him fix that and add a duct dedicated to just the master. It actually helped the air flow to the other rooms. My biggest air loss was interior around the fireplace where the brick meets the wall trim. I would not have thought of that. A bead of clear silicone all around and done.

Comment

Homeboy Kenny tried to pull a fast one. Came on out about 20 minutes ago (no big deal, just an hour and a half late) , looked through the attic and begin an initial inspection. Then he "talked to his boss" and "found out" that the Oncor program just ended a week ago and ran out of funds. Wanted to get us to try to do a special one time service at 70 cents a square foot as their price. I said thanks but nope, and off they went.

Call up Oncor, and they have not heard anything about funds ending, and that if that was the case, it would be listed on the website, which me and the customer service rep both went through and couldnt find anything. I informed them that Kenny was likely trying to bill us AND oncor for any services rendered.

The oncor rep was taking it from there, but they recommended me calling another provider.
                      Damn that sucks, He was very professional when he and his crew did our attic. But won't recommend him anymore.

On a side note we had new windows put in by Clarity windows.. not cheap but damn they work wonders.

Last year during summer months you couldn't keep our house below 80 if the sun was up and out back bedroom would be 80-90 later in the day because the sun shinning through from 4-8.

Now with the insulation and the windows are A/C has 0 issues keeping it at 70 all day if we wanted. we do 76degrees from like 8am-6pm then 72 6pm-8am. Our bill is easily half of what it was last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                        I used http://www.iactonenergy.com/index.html and was pleased with the services performed. He was professional, honest and didn't pressure me in to buying anything.

I was actually surprised at how low our energy loss % was for the age of our home. We have the sheet style radiant barrier and all the ducting was replaced before we moved in. Throughout remodeling, I've sealed every window, every exterior door and added solar screens. Our weakest link is the age of our hvac system, but he communicated where we were and showed me the leaks he found as he found them so I could feel air coming in and going out. He made suggestions on what he thought could help and just how much help it would be, even though there wasn't much, and left the rest up to me.

I just had them reseal all of the hvac ducting and the air handler in the attic. We were getting poor air flow to the master bedroom due to a poor routing design in the duct work so I had him fix that and add a duct dedicated to just the master. It actually helped the air flow to the other rooms. My biggest air loss was interior around the fireplace where the brick meets the wall trim. I would not have thought of that. A bead of clear silicone all around and done.
                        What did it cost for all of the duct work, if you don't mind me asking? I am thinking we need ours re-ran. There are only a couple of rooms with good airflow and they are very close to the air handler
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                          What did it cost for all of the duct work, if you don't mind me asking? I am thinking we need ours re-ran. There are only a couple of rooms with good airflow and they are very close to the air handler
                          I'll have to look at the invoice. I want to say it was like $175. That covered a new 30' duct and terminating where the old one tied in to the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                            I'll have to look at the invoice. I want to say it was like $175. That covered a new 30' duct and terminating where the old one tied in to the others.
                            If so, I will be having mine looked at ASAP!
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Ryan, for a quick bit of help, you might also consider putting solar screens on the house. Several people on here, myself included have used Lonestar Solar Screens out of... Irving? with great success.

Comment

Yup, Lonestar. One of the best and first things I did to that house.
                                Originally posted by Silverback
                                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                                X