No announcement yet.

My Remodel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We made a lot of progress this weekend. 95% of the demo is done. One closet of carpet and remove the tile and trim from the second bathroom and that is done. We are waiting to reset the toilet in the master before we demo the guest bath. We had a lot of help over the weekend, allowing us to get the tile 85% complete (with the exception of grout), trim in both rooms that get carpet, and a lot of the cleaning done.

Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Yes, that is the color we painted the kitchen!

The agenda for this week includes finishing tile, grout, getting the laminate laid and painting the trim in the guest bedroom and the master. Those items must be done by Friday so they can install carpet. Our plan to move next weekend looks bleak. June 1 may be a more realistic time frame

Comment

I've got very similar tile in my kitchen. Nothing wrong with bright colors, although they usually work best on accent walls. My kitchen ended up being painted pretty close to 1969 Charger Sublime Green. It didn't seem quit so loud on the paper. lol Luckily there isn't much wall space.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          I've got very similar tile in my kitchen. Nothing wrong with bright colors, although they usually work best on accent walls. My kitchen ended up being painted pretty close to 1969 Charger Sublime Green. It didn't seem quit so loud on the paper. lol Luckily there isn't much wall space.
          There isn't a lot of wall space in the kitchen. We are going to paint the cabinets an off white. Our appliances are going to be slate color so that will add some contrast.

We are WAY beyond ready for this to be over!

Does anyone have any tips for painting trim? We are having trouble getting them smooth!

Comment

Trim like baseboards is usually best painted with a spray gun.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
              Trim like baseboards is usually best painted with a spray gun.
              With a high quality trim paint, you can do it by hand it will still look great. Sherwin Williams Pro Classic is a great example though its $70/gallon. Wait for a 40% off sale and its a great deal

Comment

Same tile here I think

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                  Does anyone have any tips for painting trim? We are having trouble getting them smooth!
                  Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                  With a high quality trim paint, you can do it by hand it will still look great. Sherwin Williams Pro Classic is a great example though its $70/gallon. Wait for a 40% off sale and its a great deal
                  This. It's all about the paint, brush and technique. Get a high quality oil based trim paint and invest in a high quality trim specific brush like a Purdy hog hair. I like to thin the paint a touch to reduce drag. Use an empty quart can or a drip tray and work in small amounts. Clean the brush frequently and pull your tape while the paint is still wet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                    This. It's all about the paint, brush and technique. Get a high quality oil based trim paint and invest in a high quality trim specific brush like a Purdy hog hair. I like to thin the paint a touch to reduce drag. Use an empty quart can or a drip tray and work in small amounts. Clean the brush frequently and pull your tape while the paint is still wet.
                    This.

I have learned so much about home improvement stuff over the last year it makes my head spin...

... still need to do an official brain-picking in regards to a kegerator, Jimmy.
                    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                    dont downshift!!
                    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

I picked up a Wooster brush today from Lowe's. It seems to be doing a pretty good job of laying down the latex paint we got for our trim. It isn't smooth as glass, but so far we are pleased with the results.

While waiting for paint to dry, we began laying the laminate in the hallway, that way the carpet installers have set lines to lay up to. Short of fighting with the floor muffler under layment, it is going down VERY easily. For anyone looking at laminate and under layment, if you choose to go with floor muffler, don't buy it from Home Depot. I ordered online and got the same product for half the price. The stuff you find online is green and comes in a slightly different dimension than the rolls at Home Depot. From my extensive searching and reading, it has shown to be the same product.

I didn't take a picture before we left tonight. As quickly as this stuff goes down, I should be able to finish up all of our pre-carpet items. I need to lay another coat of paint on the baseboards and trim and finish laying a bit of laminate in the hallway. That will take a bit, because I am going to have to cut several planks for the short section that leads to the Master. As quickly as it goes down with minimal cuts, the laminate will be in by the weekend. Leaving us with a little bit of tile work and trimming the whole house, and painting the cabinets before it is "move in ready" The rest of the items can be done over time.

I am planning on ordering a hardware pack tomorrow from my vendor, brand new ORB knobs and hardware throughout the house. Couple that with brand new outlets and covers, and it should look like a brand new house! (on the inside anyway)

If anyone has a number for gutter install, please feel free to share. I think the bid that I got over the weekend was a little high at $1100. Not sure what materials cost is, however, for as simple as my roof line is, It seems high. Granted, we get a discount at work due to volume, however, we pay $800 to put gutters on 3500 sq ft 2 story houses.

Comment

Working on getting everything ready for carpet tomorrow. the hallway is 95% finished as far as flooring goes. Need to get the transition set to both bedrooms and the guest bath. I set a piece of base at the end of the hall just to see what it would look like.

Comment

Got a call from the delivery company for our GE appliances. Apparently one side of our new fridge got crushed en route to the delivery company. So it will probably be next Friday at best before we have appliances and can even think about moving in.

Comment

OP, can you share a gutter contact? I need one for northwest of FTW.
                            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                            86 SVO - Sold
                            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I don't have one for that area. I am having trouble finding one for my area. I got a quote last weekend and it was $1100. Which seems very high for a small house with a basic hip roof

Comment

If there is any new construction in your area, ask one of the crews installing gutters who they work for

Comment

Working...
                                X