No announcement yet.

My Remodel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Looking from the living room into the entry. Laninate is laid through the hall and family room, only one more room to lay and trim. All trim is up in the entry, hall, and living rooom. Still need to finish tiling the kitchen and hanging the trim. I plan to also replace all of the window sills, as a lot of them show signs of water damage and swelling from condensation. We still have some plumbing issues to handle as well.

We are trying to decide whether to add an additional base and upper cabinet in the kitchen. There is VERY little cabinet and counter space. If we do, the only countertops in our current budget are formica...
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Looking good man...you are making some great progress

Comment

Looking great man.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have taken very little time off from working on it. Aside from work, I have been there every day but two, working on it. My goal is to have it 90-95% ready to move in by Wenesday when our appluances show up. We are still waiting on her brother and Uncle to have time to make it over (both are plumbers). Her uncle is putting in a new 50 gal water heater and fixing the flange for the mastdr toilet, and hsr brother is running a gas line for the stove.

Today we are going to decide on the additional cabinet and countertops.

Comment

Well, Formica it is. Found a 10 ft pre made section at Lowes for $138. It had a large chip in the back splash so I asked the lady if I could get it any cheaper. It was already marked down from $150. I was ready to haggle thinking I would only get 10-20% off. She said sure 1/2 off. We needed and addition 2 ft so we had to buy a 4 ft section to finish it out. All total we spent ~$130 on countertops that she loves. The chip in the back splash is no bother, I plan to remove the splash and tile a backsplash.

We also picked up a three drawer base cabinet to add to the end for more counter space. We had to go with drawers because we couldn't find anything that would accomodate any of the doors in the house.

Comment

We used Allstate Gutter. Cost $500.00. 1600 sq ft house. Did a great job. 972-242-7091. Not sure how far out they go

Comment

Originally posted by mustngacman View Post
                We used Allstate Gutter. Cost $500.00. 1600 sq ft house. Did a great job. 972-242-7091. Not sure how far out they go
                Thank you, I will give them a call tomorrow

Comment

Hell, I'm going to give them a call as well. Got quoted $900 to do my 1465 square foot house and that seems extremely high.

Comment

Ill be calling as well for gutters. Saw another company on Angies list that had god reviews as well as pricing. I will post up there info later

Comment

Well, not much got accomplished this weekend. We spent a boat load of money and finished the tile in the kitchen. After finding the counter tops yesterday, we pulled the tops that were there today. After assessing the sink cabinet that was there, we decided that it needed replaced. A good bit of water damage and some existing mold/mildew. Home Depot was having 20% off of in-stock cabinets this weekend. So, we picked up a sink cabinet, 18" cabinet, and 24" 3 drawer cabinet. We also decided on a cabinet color, and if it all works out, the back splash design.

Yes, the door fronts are different...We will replace the rest of the doors in the near future.

Items remaining before we can start moving in:

Finish caulking and painting the baseboards in the family room and hallway
                      Grout kitchen tile
                      Paint cabinets
                      Mount countertops
                      Tile backsplash
                      re-set the master commode
                      Finish trimming master bath and kitchen
                      Cut in/touch up base color.
                      Last edited by black2002ls; 05-26-2014, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Days like today make me feel like we are treading water. All we managed to get done was to move an upper cabinet and mask everything off for paint....in 3 hours

Comment

Hey Russell, if you're still needing gutters give my buddy Jon a call 972-948-5044, he does estimates/work for U.S. Gutters (local company). He has always done mine for a very reasonable price. Tell him I sent you.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Donkey View Post
                            Hey Russell, if you're still needing gutters give my buddy Jon a call 972-948-5044, he does estimates/work for U.S. Gutters (local company). He has always done mine for a very reasonable price. Tell him I sent you.
                            Just gave him a call. Thanks

Comment

Finally made a little bit of progress today. We got our mailbox replaced. The entire neighborhood has bricked mail boxes, all of which are leaning. Our mailbox itself was pretty beat up and in a state of severe disrepair. So, my boss had one of our mason's come out and tear the old box down and build us a new one, along with cutting expansion joints in the brick and pointing up the mortar. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the new mailbox, I will try to get one tomorrow.

We also, after another trip to Home Depot to exchange a defective spray gun, finally got some paint on the kitchen cabinets. I got a little heavy with the paint in several areas and caused some extensive runs. So, tomorrow I will have to hit them with the sander again to even everything out. I think that I need to thin the paint a bit more before I spray them again. I am using a Valspar gloss latex, we weren't sure what the paint was on the cabinets and didn't want to bother with stripping them. The color is Honey Milk. It definitely makes the kitchen seem bigger!

Comment

Finally got the cabinets finished up in the kitchen. I put our short countertop in place to see what it is going to look like

Backsplash design

White glass subway tiles with the accent ~2/3 of the way up the wall

Comment

Working...
                                X