Electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical question

Anyone else have the outlet that their garage door is on, on a GFI circuit? I can't understand how that is a smart thing...

twice now in 4 days I have been unable to raise my garage door because of a tripped GFI outlet.
    GIFSoup

Never heard of garage doors on them, just kitchen and bathroom..

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      Never heard of garage doors on them, just kitchen and bathroom..
      Stuff in garage makes sense due to possible moisture ..say from a water heater, but do all of the ground level sockets, not the one stuck on the roof of the garage.
      GIFSoup

Comment

Originally posted by mirefire 2.0 View Post
        Stuff in garage makes sense due to possible moisture ..say from a water heater, but do all of the ground level sockets, not the one stuck on the roof of the garage.
        But even "ground level" outlets in a garage are at least a couple of feet off the ground. I would swap that shit out with a standard outlet.

Comment

I've never put a garage door opener on a GFI, Only all other receptacles in the garage.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
            But even "ground level" outlets in a garage are at least a couple of feet off the ground. I would swap that shit out with a standard outlet.
            If it happens once more, thats what I am going to do.
            GIFSoup

Comment

change it out

Comment

Originally posted by mirefire 2.0 View Post
                If it happens once more, thats what I am going to do.
                Better check to see what other outlets are being protected by the GFI. It would suck to electrocute a family member because you bypassed a safety item.

Comment

Garage is GFI by code due to it being a potential wet area. In our houses the exterior (patio) outlets are looped with the garage. You, as a homeowner can change the breaker to a standard breaker. Or, if the openers are looped with the outlet based GFI trigger, change the loop.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                    change the loop.
                    This is likely the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X