Circular Saw Suggestions / Warnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circular Saw Suggestions / Warnings

Looking to get a corded circular saw in the next week. Use will be moderate homeowner projects and some woodworking. Been looking at the ~$100 Dewalt, Rigid, and Milwaukee tools. They all seem pretty comparable.

Anybody have any experience with newly built models? Mainly looking for advice on anything to stay away from and features I may not think to look for.

TIA
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those

Comment

I've got a $40 skill from walmart that has done everything i ever needed it to. I can't think of anything an expensive one is going to do that the cheaper ones will give you grief about.

Comment

All 3 should be good for that, not sure on pricing but the Skil saws I've used are good as well. I use an 18v dewalt cordless for stuff around the house.

Comment

i just bought a mikita for $10 buck at a garge sale. not a bad deal.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
            All 3 should be good for that, not sure on pricing but the Skil saws I've used are good as well. I use an 18v dewalt cordless for stuff around the house.
            I can't do cordless on a circular. The newer lithium stuff is probably good but the older 18v nicad (nimh?) sucked major dick.

Comment

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE575SB-Lightweight-Circular-Electric/dp/B007QUZ16A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404755309&sr=8-1&keywords=circular+saw[/ame]

#1 rated many places... I got it on sale from amazon with the fathers day $20 off $100. This thing rocks. Its light and works great. No safety like my last one had. If you arent in a rush, it goes on sale every once in a while. It was ~$80 with the discounts when I bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                I can't do cordless on a circular. The newer lithium stuff is probably good but the older 18v nicad (nimh?) sucked major dick.
                The lithium is way better, but even with them you have to keep it fully charged and swap regular if you are doing a lot of long cuts. Bigger projects corded is the way to go.

Comment

The Lithium DeWalt stuff I have used is good, but GrayStang is right about the batteries, you better have a fresh one ready. At this point in my life I haven't needed one more than 20 feet from an electrical outlet so I don't want to deal with the batteries.

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                  http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE575S...s=circular+saw

#1 rated many places... I got it on sale from amazon with the fathers day $20 off $100. This thing rocks. Its light and works great. No safety like my last one had. If you arent in a rush, it goes on sale every once in a while. It was ~$80 with the discounts when I bought it.
                  That was one of the ones I was looking at. Had good luck with DeWalt tools in the past. Glad to know it is highly rated.

I'm tempted to grab a Skill / Ryobi but I go back and forth on buying "cheap" tools. Then there is the Rigid with the LSA. Too many options. I may end up borrowing a friend's tools this weekend and waiting to buy.
                  "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                  -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I've got a $40 skill from walmart that has done everything i ever needed it to. I can't think of anything an expensive one is going to do that the cheaper ones will give you grief about.
                    Same here. Mine has done everything I asked of it. Keep a good blade on it that is appropriate for the job and you should be fine.

I think the advantage of the more expensive saws is the ability to change the brushes in the motor as/when they wear.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                      Same here. Mine has done everything I asked of it. Keep a good blade on it that is appropriate for the job and you should be fine.

I think the advantage of the more expensive saws is the ability to change the brushes in the motor as/when they wear.
                      I like to take any tool with brushes and run it right out of the box for 1-2 minutes WOT with no load, then let it cool down. Do that a couple times before ever putting a load on the tool and they seem to last a lot longer. My dad started doing that with his HF purchases, and noticed a decent improvement in life. something about letting the brushes wear in.. i guess it's like breaking in the rings on an engine. either way, agree with the point you've made about a good blade making the difference.

Comment

I third the el-cheapo Skil brand. Had mine for years and hasn't let me down yet.
                        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

You can pick a good name brand on the cheap if you hit the right Pawn shop.

Comment

cheap skill here and its all I've ever used just make sure if you go the skill route you dont get one with the BS safety switch. It will drive you nuts!
                            "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

They are all cheap shit now days. So go in knowing that, expecting that, and grateful every time it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X