Has anyone done brick tree rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone done brick tree rings?

I picked up a bunch of brick from work with the plan to build some brick tree ring planters. Has anyone done this before? Is a concrete footing necesary?

Here is my mock up. These are just set in place, I plan to cap it with a darker brick

Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

you'll notice each corner is popped out! need to trim the inside corner to get a tighter fit

Comment

+1 on trimming the inside corner.

also if you dont want to concrete it all together just get a tube of masonry adhesive and a caulk gun.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
        also if you dont want to concrete it all together just get a tube of masonry adhesive and a caulk gun.
        X2 on adhesive. But I would consider using different blocks... they sell some for retaining walls that are more substantial, they weigh about 30 lbs each.

I would also bury and level one row, and put two stacks on top. That's what I did, and I didn't use any sort of adhesive or cement.

Comment

I plan to at the very least bury the first row and level it. This was just a quick mock up to see how it looked and if my better half liked it. I think it looks great with the dark brick for a cap, I will get a picture tonight. Total above ground will be 3 rows of bricks. one buried, 2 of the "matching" bricks, and a cap of darker brown accent brick.

If I didn't have brick at my disposal, in a wide variety of shades and colors, I would look at doing the concrete pavers. This brick matches the house pretty well and I think it adds a bit of a nicer touch vs. the pavers. It is more work, but I think in the end, I will be much happier with it. I am sure the way this will go is that I will excavate, level the first row, get frustrated, then my desire to have it done right will over ride my cheap side and I will have my mason come out and finish it up! The only thing I will be out of pocket on will be some tools and cement if I decide to pour a concrete footer, and then the gravel, dirt, flowers, mulch to fill it up.

Comment

notice half a brick makes a tighter circle bond

Last edited by scootro; 07-11-2014, 10:08 AM.

Comment

I think most of the "pointing" can be remedied by cutting the corners on the back side to get that tighter bond. That first one looks almost like pavers, but it is hard to tell from that picture!

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                I think most of the "pointing" can be remedied by cutting the corners on the back side to get that tighter bond. That first one looks almost like pavers, but it is hard to tell from that picture!
                nope its a brick cut in half and pointed at the ends also those brick are called "slick face brick"

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                    nope its a brick cut in half and pointed at the ends also those brick are called "slick face brick"
                    Makes sense! I thought they looked different than any pavers I had seen, yet, they didn't look like any of the brick I had worked with!

Comment

Be careful how much soil you add above normal grade-you can impact the health of your tress by smothering root systems
                      Last edited by 95DRGT; 07-11-2014, 10:22 AM. Reason: Had

Comment

Makes sense! I thought they looked different than any pavers I had seen, yet, they didn't look like any of the brick I had worked with!
                        it's pretty when done right! also make sure you put in weep holes at the bottom for water drainage

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
                          Be careful how much soil you had above normal grade-you can impact the health of your tress by smothering root systems
                          I read a bit about this online. No indication as to how much is too much. There are no surface roots (that I can see above grade) with these two trees. Several places I read recommended a gravel base to help with drainage for the trees. I think all told, it wont be more than 18"

it's pretty when done right! also make sure you put in weep holes at the bottom for water drainage
                          I picked up some PVC for drainage today.

Comment

I picked up some PVC for drainage today.
                            heck yea that'll work

Comment

heck yea that'll work
                              or leave a small gap between thr brick as you seen on houses.

Comment

Working...
                              X