TIme for flooring, questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIme for flooring, questions...

Upstairs is pretty cut and dry we had carpet we pulled it out. Put about a hundred screws everywhere to tighten it all up and going to install hardwood.

Downstairs is a bit trickier.....

It is all currently tile, with a big chunk of the center of the living room being carpet. Like a big area rug, except caret in the middle of the tile.

Without removing 2000 square feet of tile..WTH do you do!

Can we tear out that carpet put cheap tile down and just hardwood over the tile. It is a solid surface, would it matter?

Have someone come tear out 2000sqft of tile. Some of the larger companies have a riding tile scraper.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
      Have someone come tear out 2000sqft of tile. Some of the larger companies have a riding tile scraper.
      This, or rent you an air compressor and big flat chisel and go to town...then rent a diamond floor sander to smooth it out

Comment

Pictures? You can put wood flooring over tile, but it's not suggested. You never know how well they put the tile down. How much of a height difference between the carpet and tile?

Comment

We have compressor and spades, have done that in a lot of the house already, not interested in this large of an area.

Height is fairly flush with the carpet, thats why I was curious about putting cheap tile down in place of carpet then flooring over that...

Here are these from when we moved in...this is only carpet besides in bedroom downstairs. Have large entry way, two formal dining areas tiled also need to remove.

Comment

Does that floor have heating/cooling vents? Is your subfloor cement? If it's not cement, I'd tear the tile/carpet and reinforce any loose wood(I don't like the possibility of doing jobs twice).

If you didn't want to do that, maybe just tear out all the tile in that room and build it up with plywood? Or, just the area where the carpet is? I think either of these would be better than taking the time to purchase/lay new tile.

Are there any cracks in the tile grouts/tiles anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Blandnuts View Post
              Does that floor have heating/cooling vents? Is your subfloor cement? If it's not cement, I'd tear the tile/carpet and reinforce any loose wood(I don't like the possibility of doing jobs twice).

If you didn't want to do that, maybe just tear out all the tile in that room and build it up with plywood? Or, just the area where the carpet is? I think either of these would be better than taking the time to purchase/lay new tile.

Are there any cracks in the tile grouts/tiles anywhere?
              Slab house, with vents in the concrete....

yeah could just set some plywood...hmm...

Comment

maybe its just the kid in me coming out, but I enjoy tearing up tile with an Air Chisel (no i will not come do yours )

Comment

Just remove the tile in said room along with the carpet, Square it off and install wood.

Comment

lol, I had that same shitty tile removed from my old 1979 house about 6 years ago. It was a few hundred square feet, but it made a massive mess of dust that I was cleaning up for months afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                      lol, I had that same shitty tile removed from my old 1979 house about 6 years ago. It was a few hundred square feet, but it made a massive mess of dust that I was cleaning up for months afterwards.
                      x2.

They did my kitchen and that shit went everywhere.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post

yea, that it why I am trying to avoid it. No matter how much you vacuum and clean it will overtake the house. I have a pregnant wife and an infant on the way. Would be difficult for me to take the extra dust risk.

We tore out the upstairs tile bathroom 4 months ago, we still have the windows open daily, wipe down the walls and fans, replace air filters every week....and this job is about 10 times bigger!

Comment

having this flooring installed upstairs in the next week, so excited, getting from home depot and has great reviews, and also 497$ installation

Comment

Is that traffic master flooring?
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Pergo XP

Comment

Working...
                              X