HVAC issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVAC issue

Well it is always a great wake up call when you can smell something smells like rubber burning at 4 in the morning. I turned my ac off and hit the breakers and since my daughter is in the room right in front sleeping and the house having such a harsh toxic smell I woke her up with my wife and they went outside on the patio, but didnt open up the unit to check out anything because of work.

I called a couple of ac guys. One of them said he can come out and he charges 65 for the first half hour and said it sounds like its the blower which he said runs about 185 and/or just the capacitor which is 15$. and said if it is the blower he will change both of them out and will take him around 40 to 45 minutes to do and said he can come out at 5 today. The other guy said around 2 but he charges 115 to come diagnose it + parts.

Im pretty hands-on and looking on youtube it doest seem that "hard" to change out a capacitor and blower motor, so have any of you experienced this and if you did is this just something to leave up to the pros or can I fix it?

If it was the unit outside i wouldnt think twice about getting someone out there who knows what they are doing, but just looking at youtube for the inside unit it looks so simple..

Leave it to the pros. My neighbor owns ACME air and will shoot you straight.

Comment

Robert Terry 903-647-0816 Good dude with reasonable prices. Tell him Corey Church sent you. He fixed a problem with the furnace in our rent house when other would have recommended to replace the entire unit.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Goku025 View Post
        Well it is always a great wake up call when you can smell something smells like rubber burning at 4 in the morning. I turned my ac off and hit the breakers and since my daughter is in the room right in front sleeping and the house having such a harsh toxic smell I woke her up with my wife and they went outside on the patio, but didnt open up the unit to check out anything because of work.

I called a couple of ac guys. One of them said he can come out and he charges 65 for the first half hour and said it sounds like its the blower which he said runs about 185 and/or just the capacitor which is 15$. and said if it is the blower he will change both of them out and will take him around 40 to 45 minutes to do and said he can come out at 5 today. The other guy said around 2 but he charges 115 to come diagnose it + parts.

Im pretty hands-on and looking on youtube it doest seem that "hard" to change out a capacitor and blower motor, so have any of you experienced this and if you did is this just something to leave up to the pros or can I fix it?

If it was the unit outside i wouldnt think twice about getting someone out there who knows what they are doing, but just looking at youtube for the inside unit it looks so simple..
        Well for one you didn't really post any actual information beyond the smell and a/c not working. If you're handy, then you should easily be able to do a motor swap. Pick up a similar model at Grainger or any other a/c supply house.

Other than that, I'd recommend getting a pro in to take a look.

Comment

What's the verdict? Bad blower??

If you haven't gotten it fixed, what area are you in?

Comment

Alright well I went with a recommendation from one of my neighbors friend and it ended up being a relay with all the contacts melted on it. Took him about 30 minutes to fix everything and spent another 30 looking over my ac system to make sure it was working correctly. 100$ all together with parts labor and his fee for coming out.

Comment

Working...
            X