Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got a big tip on pole barn building materials...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a big tip on pole barn building materials...

Our Co-op gives away the old poles from the area. Free to whomever will come and dispose. I was about to embark on building a short bridge and a pole barn for some extra storage and spend some $$, now it is all free!

My local place has lengths up to 30' which is perfect for me to cut in half and move home to start construction.

Not sure if many folks know that co ops do this or not.

more info?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
      more info?
      You saw big tip and pole and rolled on in huh?
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

My Co-op is in Louisiana, but apparently this is a common thing, if not free a lot of power companies just charge .20-.50 cent per foot for the old poles! I called a few locals here all varied! Hello weekend projects for the next year!

Comment

Originally posted by baron von crowder View Post
          you saw big tip and pole and rolled on in huh?
          no, just building materials...

Comment

Yep we built bridges across the creeks on the back of my dads property back in the late 80's with these and they are still holding together well today.

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
              Yep we built bridges across the creeks on the back of my dads property back in the late 80's with these and they are still holding together well today.
              Hey questions about that. I have about a 16' span I will be building across, crossties on either side and poles laying on top of those. How strong were your bridges? Truck cross it, or tractor?

Comment

Originally posted by zachary View Post
                Hey questions about that. I have about a 16' span I will be building across, crossties on either side and poles laying on top of those. How strong were your bridges? Truck cross it, or tractor?
                We didn't make them wide enough for cars but you can take 4wheelrs and lawn tractors across. It's just using 2 poles for the floor and 2 for hand rails and of course the lumber inbetween.

Google utility pole bridges and you can see some nice uses

Comment

Originally posted by zachary View Post
                  If you plan on building a bridge to cross vehicles, you will need to do concrete abt. On each end of the bridge. Stablization. You won't want that bridge moving /shifting on you.

Comment

Went to my parents so I snapped a pic and looked at how it's holding up. When in service they are heavily oiled and it has dried out big time and showing its age now. It has 3 on the bottom and is solid as can be.

Comment

Working...
                    X