Moving a shower drain in a post tension slab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a shower drain in a post tension slab

I'm thinking about moving a drain a couple of feet over in the master shower and wondered if anyone has a recommendation for someone. I'm not willing to risk attempting it myself after reading the horror stories.

I was going to have a tornado shelter installed in my post tension slab. As I understood it from the company that sold the shelter, the only way to be sure is to have some sort of survey done. It's been a couple years, but they way I remember it - someone comes out with a device (sonar or similar) and is able to find/mark all the cables.

Once that is done, then you can do concrete work. I decided for the size of a shelter it was all going to be too risky. However, for a drain move it maybe worth it.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

floor drains are moved all the time. Shouldnt be too big of a deal

Comment

On my house in TX, I could see on the sides of the foundation outside where they did concrete patch work to cover the cables. I would think you could easily do some measuring to see where they run across inside the house. That's assuming they're visible on the outside. As long as you're not too close to them, I wouldn't sweat it.

I wonder if a simple metal detector would find them? Or maybe the concrete is too think/dense.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
          floor drains are moved all the time. Shouldnt be too big of a deal
          Typicall only a few inches in new construction.
          Originally posted by UserX View Post
          On my house in TX, I could see on the sides of the foundation outside where they did concrete patch work to cover the cables. I would think you could easily do some measuring to see where they run across inside the house. That's assuming they're visible on the outside. As long as you're not too close to them, I wouldn't sweat it.

I wonder if a simple metal detector would find them? Or maybe the concrete is too think/dense.
          You should be able to estimate where the cables run by looking for the patches where they patched the end. The unknown will be where the beams run!

It can be done, we do it from time to time when we miss a conduit. If a cable is severed, it can be repaired/replaced. Replacement is going to run in the neighborhood of $250-500 depending on the cable length.

My concern would be strength of the patch on the size hole you are going to need to move that drain. I would make sure it is done properly.
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Working...
          X