Moving an outlet up the wall, can I use the wire that is coming in or

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving an outlet up the wall, can I use the wire that is coming in or

Moving 2 outlets up so I can add some more cabinets to a kitchen, i've read a couple of how to's online and it seems simple enough so I gave it a shot.

The first outlet I have 2 different power cables coming in, 1 from above and then another that goes horizontal. Can I just use the cable that goes from above? Or how would I go about adding the wire?

Got the wall torn apart a little looking for the cable but i've repaired so much drywall lately it doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance.

it's probably daisy chained to other outlets.

you can move it up, but you need to put a junction box wherever you have a break in the wire
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
      it's probably daisy chained to other outlets.

you can move it up, but you need to put a junction box wherever you have a break in the wire
      Yep daisy chained.

The second one goes even lower so the cable wont even reach if I pull it.

So basically need this

And extra wire.

Install each one where the old wire outlets used to be and wire up the new wire to go into the new outlets?

Comment

and something like this:

this is assuming it's going behind a cabinet. If it's going to be visible, I would go single wide with a plastic cover for aesthetic reasons.

theoretically you could just wire-nut and tape the connections as nobody is going to see it, but it's supposed to go in a junction box. I wire all my shit to meet or exceed code and it doesn't cost anything to just do it right.

wiring them up is more fun if you leave the breaker on
        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
          and something like this:

this is assuming it's going behind a cabinet. If it's going to be visible, I would go single wide with a plastic cover for aesthetic reasons.

theoretically you could just wire-nut and tape the connections as nobody is going to see it, but it's supposed to go in a junction box. I wire all my shit to meet or exceed code and it doesn't cost anything to just do it right.

wiring them up is more fun if you leave the breaker on

lol its going behind a cabinet that has hardiboard attached to the back of them. It was from an old project that crashed and burned so I'm re purposing them.

Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
          X