engineered hardwood over tile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engineered hardwood over tile

should i or shouldn't i? i have tile in the kitchen and absolutely hate it. the entire house is hardwood and with the exception of the living room it is all original from 1890. anyways the tile in the kitchen is solid and in good shape but i really dont feel like doing an entire tear out and putting new stuff down so i was thinking of floating hardwood on top. i know the room height will be a tad higher than the connecting room but im not too worried about that. any thoughts or suggestions?

Have the old tile removed and add wood look tile. I couldn't do hardwood in my kitchen, I spill too much stuff and feed my pets over in one corner of the tiled nook area.
    WRX

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
      Have the old tile removed and add wood look tile. I couldn't do hardwood in my kitchen, I spill too much stuff and feed my pets over in one corner of the tiled nook area.
      This is a Great Idea !

Also , look into VINYL PLANK , it looks great and performs well in a kitchen.

I wouldnt do engineered IMO only because of the potential for water damage,
      ( Fridge, sink, spills)

Comment

why do you hate tile in the kitchen? Seems like the best option for a kitchen, IMO.

Comment

I don't necessarily hate tile but I hate the tile that I have. I have thought about the wood look tile but I'm not a big fan of it. My house is a historic home so I want to do something to make it look like it would have originally.

Comment

I wouldn't do a wood floor in the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
              the entire house is hardwood and with the exception of the living room it is all original from 1890.
              That is awesome.
              My house is a historic home so I want to do something to make it look like it would have originally.
              Which would have been the same hardwood floors you have throughout the rest of the house.
              should i or shouldn't i?
              Of course you shouldn't. It should either get hardwoods (to be correct) or leave tile in there (for durability in the kitchen). Fake wood floors are neither correct, nor durable, and they would stand out like a sore thumb in that cool old house.

At least you have enough sense to respect the age and style of your home. I see a lot of people that do whatever is hip these days, I guess you'd call it 'modern Tuscan meets shabby chic', in their homes regardless of whether or not it makes any fucking sense. Makes me want to scream. Stop painting brick, stop putting faux finishes on cool old furniture, and stop laying down laminate floors in 125 year old homes.
              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                That is awesome.

Which would have been the same hardwood floors you have throughout the rest of the house.

Of course you shouldn't. It should either get hardwoods (to be correct) or leave tile in there (for durability in the kitchen). Fake wood floors are neither correct, nor durable, and they would stand out like a sore thumb in that cool old house.

At least you have enough sense to respect the age and style of your home. I see a lot of people that do whatever is hip these days, I guess you'd call it 'modern Tuscan meets shabby chic', in their homes regardless of whether or not it makes any fucking sense. Makes me want to scream. Stop painting brick, stop putting faux finishes on cool old furniture, and stop laying down laminate floors in 125 year old homes.
                on that same line of thought, my mom built a new house a couple years ago, and the new "thing" is to do some of the cabinets in a different finish than another. Her island has three different finishes around it, and her upper cabinets are different than her lower. It looks like complete shit to me, but she assured me that his is what all the newer high end custom homes have.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

We looked at a house with wood look tile and I thought it was terrible. everything else was awesome and the house was a great deal...but the tile was so bad looking that I knew I couldn't live in it.

Our entire downstairs including the kitchen has some form of engineered hardwood or vinyl. ..I really have no clue what it actually is. But it holds up well to water, the dog, all kinds of debris I drag in from the garage...etc.

I don't know about applying over tile, but you can get a suitable hardwood alternative for a kitchen.

Comment

Cheap tile.. looks cheap (wood look or not).. Nice tile.. looks nice.

Comment

I can't tell in that pic...is there a grout joint? It looks better than the stuff we saw, at least from the distance the pic is taken.

The house we were looking at wouldn't have been close to the cheap range...but grout between simulated wood planks killed it For me.

Comment

The big difference is the longer planks (6" x 48"). Use the smallest grout lines you can afford, and match the grout to the tile. You can even mix grout colors to get variations.

But it will not look like real wood.... although a lot of people think it is at first.

Comment

Yeah maybe it's just a different strokes for different folks kinda deal...but any grout at all killed it for me.

I'm also not big into modern designs so that could be it.

Comment

Originally posted by JordonMusser View Post
                            Cheap tile.. looks cheap (wood look or not).. Nice tile.. looks nice.

Ikea cabinets? How do you like them?
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Ruff- definitely.. it is a more modern look, AND it will always have grout lines. If you want it to trick people into thinking its wood.. it wont

Wood was not an option for me from a wear/tear stand point

baron-
                              Love 'em. Not much for the "fake wood" look ones they have (my wood cabinets are all real wood). But the glossy ones are nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X