Picked up a new project. Wood workers inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a new project. Wood workers inside

Well, this isn't a lot of wood work but I need some help. I have developed a love for old radios. Specifically old console radios with interesting cabinets. I try to pick up distressed ones and do some kind of refurb. Some of you may remember the one I was working on a couple of years ago.

I found this on Facebook last night, offered the girl $20 and here it is!

It is a montgomery-ward Airline model 62-303

The cabinet is pretty rough. There are a couple of holes in the venier on both sides. The electronics appear to be complete. She said it was inop, but everything appears to be there.

Does anyone have a source for venier to replace the sides that are damaged? There are a couple of spots where it has cracked and chipped off on the edges as well.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Here is a magnovox cabinet I picked up. It has a turntable in it. Turntanle is inop, though I was able to spin it by hand and it produced aound, so that is promising.

Comment

Here is the first cabinet I redid.

Comment

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
          Excellent link! Thank you.

Pretty sure the rounded sides will have to be replace because they have holes punches in them. Now to identify the type of wood. Hopedully I get some time this weekend to do some research on this unit. I really hope the electronics are repairable without total overhaul.

Comment

Also, I have heard that rubber cement is often suggested as an adhesive for veneers. Take that advice with a grain of salt, especially with veneers that don't have a backing. The glue *can* leach through the wood so you can see it, or it can react to the finish.

This isn't so much a warning as it is an FYI for your projects. It's still really common to use it, just be judicious when selecting the adhesive for a given veneer.

Good luck man! Love those deco radios. I have some really interesting 'corner' speakers that came with a stereo cabinet. I've never seen a pair in person quite like them.
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Working...
            X