Motion sensor light switch wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion sensor light switch wiring

I'm about to return this thing since i've tried multiple combinations and still can't figure out where the red wire goes anyone have any insight? hot wire capped off currently on pics.

For single pole applications, wire the sensor switch according to wiring diagram #1 using the wire nuts provided.
    1. The sensor black wire will connect to the hot wire (black) in the wallbox.
    2. The sensor red wire will connect to the wire which goes to the light fixture.
    3. The sensor white wire will connect to the neutral wire (white) in the wallbox.
    4. The sensor blue wire is not used and should be capped off with a wire nut.
    5. The sensor green wire will connect to the ground wire in the wallbox.
    6. Install the sensor loosely using the mounting screws provided.
    7. Apply power temporarily and verify that the sensor works by pushing the ON/OFF button to verify the lights turn on
    and off. If the lights do not work, then turn off the power and swap the connections on the sensor black and red wires
    8. Apply power again and verify that the sensor works by pushing the ON/OFF button to verify the lights turn on and off

I think they mean the output side of the switch. The hot wire provides power to the sensor all of the time (along with neutral and ground).

Comment

Hard to be 100% sure just looking at the pics but I'll take a stab at it.

From the picture it looks like the white (neutral) from the sensor is wire nutted to the two black wires. I'm also assuming that those two black wires were originally wired to the capped black wire (that you said is the hot wire).

IF that is correct then the white wire needs to be wired to the 3 white wires that are twisted together in the back of the box. You need to reattach the hot wire to the two black wires. Then you need to remove (or cut) the other black wire coming from the switch and attach the black wire from the sensor to the switch. The red wire from the sensor will connect to the detached black wire.

Comment

Solved it via another forum in case anyone buys this brand again and it shows up via google search.

black wire went to the 2 black wires
        red wire went to capped black wire
        white wire was hidden in the back of the switch and didnt find till later
        green wire stayed the same.

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
          I'm about to return this thing since i've tried multiple combinations and still can't figure out where the red wire goes anyone have any insight? hot wire capped off currently on pics.

For single pole applications, wire the sensor switch according to wiring diagram #1 using the wire nuts provided.
          1. The sensor black wire will connect to the hot wire (black) in the wallbox.
          Is the standard switch in the picture going to be in sequence with the motion switch (like a kill switch)? If so, take the black wire out of that switch to the black wire on the motion switch. If not, then you need black (live/hot) from somewhere to the black sensor switch
          2. The sensor red wire will connect to the wire which goes to the light fixture.
          This would be sensor red to likely the black wire going to the fixture (what is typically the out/hot side when a switch is turned on). In your picture, it would appear to be the black wire on the left that you have a white jumped to with wire nuts.
          3. The sensor white wire will connect to the neutral wire (white) in the wallbox.
          Tie the whites together, not white to black.
          4. The sensor blue wire is not used and should be capped off with a wire nut.
          5. The sensor green wire will connect to the ground wire in the wallbox.
          Tie the green to the bare wires.
          6. Install the sensor loosely using the mounting screws provided.
          7. Apply power temporarily and verify that the sensor works by pushing the ON/OFF button to verify the lights turn on
          and off. If the lights do not work, then turn off the power and swap the connections on the sensor black and red wires
          8. Apply power again and verify that the sensor works by pushing the ON/OFF button to verify the lights turn on and off
          See above.

Comment

Working...
          X