Residential Window Tint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residential Window Tint

Well, summertime is fast approaching and I have a 1964 house with twelve single pane south-facing 7x3 windows. At least there's a nice canopy of trees, and the windows don't face west.

I absolutely hate the idea of covering up this beautiful glass with all kinds of super-thick curtains or screens to block the heat and UV. I think I'd like to try some kind of tint first. Are any DFWM folks doing this, or have a recommendation for a local company that does it? Thanks.
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Obviously I'm not an expert in that field, but I've been shopping for windows for my house over the last several months. One of the guys I talked to and got quotes from said the only real benefit to tint is to cut down glare, and that it will actually work against the efficiency of the windows. This was in reference to ordering triple pane windows with tinted glass. I'm not sure how accurate that is, just relaying what he said.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Tried some before from lowes didn't notice anything besides a 3 degree temperature drop and slightly darker. This was the darkest tint possible. Not worth it.

Comment

I had a guy come out to give me a quote on tint, but screens were oddly cheaper.

God bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Obviously I'm not an expert in that field, but I've been shopping for windows for my house over the last several months. One of the guys I talked to and got quotes from said the only real benefit to tint is to cut down glare, and that it will actually work against the efficiency of the windows. This was in reference to ordering triple pane windows with tinted glass. I'm not sure how accurate that is, just relaying what he said.
          Seems like adding another layer of insulation even as thin as a sheet of tint would do nothing but help. But thanks for the info.
          Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
          Tried some before from lowes didn't notice anything besides a 3 degree temperature drop and slightly darker. This was the darkest tint possible. Not worth it.
          I've already ruled out any box store product. Nearly everything I've ever bought from Lowe's and Home Depot is cheap and disappointing - and sometimes it's not cheap.
          Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
          I had a guy come out to give me a quote on tint, but screens were oddly cheaper.

God bless.
          I'm sure they work better too! It's just not the look I'm going for. In a perfect world, I would want heat and UV rejection but want the glass to remain as clear as possible. I've worked inside my fair share of comfortable office buildings, so there has to be a secret to keeping the hot side hot and the cool side cool. It's probably "really expensive glass" hahaa...

Comment

Danny, have you considered only replacing that one window before summer hits? Or is this something you're trying to do on the cheap?

Edit: never mind. Totally missed that there are 12 of them.
            Last edited by bcoop; 02-09-2015, 07:31 PM.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Sounds like time for new winders.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Id look into new windows as well. They arent always as expensive as you might think. When I bought my windows, the actual windows were $150 each or so. Installation of each window would probably be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                  Id look into new windows as well. They arent always as expensive as you might think. When I bought my windows, the actual windows were $150 each or so. Installation of each window would probably be the same.
                  Yep, 300 a hole, for "normal"Windows.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

The windows and sliding glass doors in my house are original and in good working condition. I prefer to restore and preserve over rip and replace. It's not because of the expense.

Comment

When I was an apartment dweller, I had a large sliding glass door that faced west. I noticed a big difference with the peel and stick tint from lowe's that went on the outside of the glass. The downfall being it looked like shit from the outside.

Luckily on my house the sliding door has a covered patio coming over it to keep the heat off the glass.

The most efficient way is to replace the windows. I'm sure they can make some that look pretty close to the originals. But since you're out on that idea have you considered bamboo roll up blinds on the exterior?

Comment

Personally, I would not touch it if you like it. You have shade, which the best you can ask for overall. Maybe put up those pull down curtain things that go on patios if the sun is real bad or ya need some privacy - but on the patio - not the windows there themselves.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

For the summer heat, just put foil over the windows. Then when it cools down, remove it!

Comment

seper cool crib Danny!

god bless.
                            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                              The windows and sliding glass doors in my house are original and in good working condition. I prefer to restore and preserve over rip and replace. It's not because of the expense.
                              I get what you are doing, and I understand it. The old windows dont perform well in any way other than being a plate of glass between you and outside. That's what this thread is about, right? So either live with windows and sliding doors that have zero insulating ability, or get some low-e glass for them, or better yet, get some double pane windows to replace them with and enjoy lower heating/cooling bills.

Comment

Working...
                              X