A/C guys in here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C guys in here

Mother In Law has a small place in Crowley and is getting some repairs done on her HVAC system. She has a home warranty through AHS and the contractor they sent out said she needs new freon as hers has all leaked out. The estimate for this work alone is $597, just for the freon. Does that number seem a tad high to anyone other than me? It's been a while since I priced freon, but dang!

Not sure how much it takes, but those little cans to charge cars that are still using freon are like $30 if you can get one. That might just be some black market rate, but it was high to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SonicblueGT03 View Post
      Mother In Law has a small place in Crowley and is getting some repairs done on her HVAC system. She has a home warranty through AHS and the contractor they sent out said she needs new freon as hers has all leaked out. The estimate for this work alone is $597, just for the freon. Does that number seem a tad high to anyone other than me? It's been a while since I priced freon, but dang!
      A lot of it will depend on the age of the unit and which freon it is using.
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Older than 20 years, if I had to guess, so it's using the old freon (R-112?). Did a little calling around earlier, and pricing seems to be all over the map. I assume that since the average homeowner can no longer buy the older freon, the shops can basically charge whatever they can get. I had quotes anywhere from $37.50/pound to over $60.00.

Comment

I work for an HVAC service company and we are at $50 a lb for R22.

I'm just an office guy, but I would want to find out where the leak is and see if they can fix it. The system may be able to be band aided for a while depending on the size of the leak, but eventually you would want to fix the actual problem.
          "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
          -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

R22 is being phased out and they have quit making so much so pricing hs went up drastically. If it needs freon i personally would do a isolation test so you know where its leaking otherwise it will leak out again. If the freon has truly leaked out then in all honesty he should be changing the liquid drier and pulling a vaccume aswell if thats not in the quote RUN! Moisture in the system means acid and will destroy the system. If you need someone ive worked on many DFW stangers guys houses and have many references. Thanks
            81 LX
            82 GT

Comment

depending on how small, that quote may be halfway to a whole new, more efficient system.

Comment

Working...
              X