Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deciding between a ZTR and a riding mower....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding between a ZTR and a riding mower....

First question.... Regarding the ztr's, is there a way to find out if one is stolen? I'm in the process of buying a mower while I have the funds. Haven't decided on which one but if the price is right, I'll get a ztr. I just want to make sure I don't get duped into a stolen mower. This is to mow 1.6 acres.

I found a couple of informative threads here that helps so now it's on to searching Craigslist.

Here's the first one...

Last edited by GeorgeG.; 03-12-2015, 10:33 PM.

Ztr without a doubt. No more reversing to get on the next line, only downside is you can't sip on a beer as easily

Comment

What brands should I stay away from? Anyone have experience with Toro and maintenance/repair costs?

ZTR's -

Riding Tractors -

Comment

We have a gravelly, been pretty realiable for almost 5 years, not sure what the deck height is off hand, but i can do 1 acre the in 2 hours

Comment

I liked my ZTR that I had for mowing. It was awesome.

I sold it though for a standard mower. The newer mowers turn a lot sharper than they did back in the day. I needed something to pull around a small boom sprayer, my trailers, a garden trailer for moving things around the yard...etc.

I will say I had to get the garden tractor's hitch re-enforced with some angle iron though. After that it is really multipurpose.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

ZTR all the way. Cut my mowing time in half. I got the Huqvarna 54" at Lowes. It's been great

Comment

ZTR all the way

Comment

GeorgeG, I will say pay attention to the rear tires on them if you have any fairly sharp inclines...etc. You can google ZTRs slipping and apparently this can affect most models.

When dealing with tougher areas, the driving/precautions are a little different. When the tires are slipping you're not getting any steering on top of goofy forward/backward motion.

Not that a standard garden tractor is much/any better, but it feels more natural and it's easier to back your way out of a problem on them.

Admittedly my cub cadet had fairly crap rear tires, but it's a worthwhile upgrade. I think some folks even used chains to help and during the summer they ain't really going to hurt anything.

The ride on most ZTRs is MUCH nicer too than the standard garden tractors - or even than some of the nicer ones from dealers. (CC, JD...etc..etc)

I bought mine for 1500 (40 hours) and a fridge from the prior homeowner. It did not even come with a place for a hitch, I had to get one fabricated. With that said, I'd pony up the cash for one that has a hitch...etc. You'll be glad you did, really saves time moving a lot of stuff around.

Comment

Hey Ceyko, is that because the tires are generally worn out on used ZTR's or does slippage occur even with new tires? I was looking at some pics on CL and the tread design seems like it would be fine.

A quick google says most mfg's advise to keep it the slopes to less than 10*

I'm beginning to consider riding mowers a little more so I can put the kids to work while I sit back and sip on some syzurp (lemonaid).

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                    Hey Ceyko, is that because the tires are generally worn out on used ZTR's or does slippage occur even with new tires? I was looking at some pics on CL and the tread design seems like it would be fine.

A quick google says most mfg's advise to keep it the slopes to less than 10*

I'm beginning to consider riding mowers a little more so I can put the kids to work while I sit back and sip on some syzurp (lemonaid).
                    Ya know, I'm no expert - I think the thought process is that there should be some slip there - but in my case for the places I needed traction - there just was not enough.

If you're land is all relatively flat - without obstacles (i.e. steep hills, ditches...etc) you'll probably be fine. It's just something I did not consider when buying mine that I wanted to pass along. I dug into it and besides chains, some people bought studded tires...etc...etc, but since mine could not really pull much I sold it and got what fit the bill better.

Comment

Working...
                    X