Question regarding grub worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding grub worms

I had active grubs late last summer that destroyed a good chunk of my front yard. I didn't know what it was, didn't put any treatment down last year.

I just had new sod laid down a week ago (St Augustine) and the guys who put it down said be sure to get something down in the next couple weeks to kill grubs b/c that's what killed my lawn last year.

I picked up some Bayer with Dylox to kill active grubs (which I have/will have in a couple weeks) but it says to not place it on "saturated" sod. However, given my sod is new I'm still watering it frequently. Should I wait a couple weeks when it can dry out a bit, or say fuck it and put the Dylox down anyway?
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

I have some in my yard so I started digging a bit.

"In late spring, grubs stop feeding and turn into pupae that are resistant to insecticides. In late June or early July, beetles emerge from the pupae and crawl out of the soil, completing the cycle."

So you are pushing to a point where you may have to just water in the sod and let them turn into beetles. Then start putting insecticide down for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      I have some in my yard so I started digging a bit.

"In late spring, grubs stop feeding and turn into pupae that are resistant to insecticides. In late June or early July, beetles emerge from the pupae and crawl out of the soil, completing the cycle."

So you are pushing to a point where you may have to just water in the sod and let them turn into beetles. Then start putting insecticide down for the future.
      I already did all that research. They're at the point where they are returning to the surface to eat roots again for a few weeks, then emerge a beetles. I'm trying kill them before they do that. In discovering what type of grub killer to put down, Dylox will kill those fuckers. It's a curative, not a preventative. Preventative insecticides have little effect on them now, the Dylox would wipe them out.
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
        I already did all that research. They're at the point where they are returning to the surface to eat roots again for a few weeks, then emerge a beetles. I'm trying kill them before they do that. In discovering what type of grub killer to put down, Dylox will kill those fuckers. It's a curative, not a preventative. Preventative insecticides have little effect on them now, the Dylox would wipe them out.
        How long does it say it needs to be dry and how long do you have to apply it?

Maybe soak it for a few days, let it dry, and then apply for the time you need. Start soaking again.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          How long does it say it needs to be dry and how long do you have to apply it?

Maybe soak it for a few days, let it dry, and then apply for the time you need. Start soaking again.
          Might be my best bet.

Comment

I am looking at Dylox 6.2 instructions. It does say it must be water in after application. Is it a different product?

4O RELEASE THE ACTIVE INGREDIENT FROM THE GRANULE THE APPLICATOR MUST WATER
            IN
            AFTER APPLICATION OR NOTIFY THE PROPERTY OWNER THAT HE OR SHE MUST WATER
            IN ON THE
            SAME DAY AS APPLICATION WITH SUFFICIENT WATER TO THOROUGHLY WET THE REMAINING
            THATCH )F SUFFICIENT RAINFALL TO THOROUGHLY WET THE THATCH OCCURS AFTER APPLICATION
            BUT BEFORE WATERING
            IN ADDITIONAL WATERING
            IN IS NOT REQUIRED

Comment

Need to do this too. Those things are abundant when I dig a hole to plant a tree or a new bush. And my yard looks like crap in spots.

But as far as timing goes, hell I saw the junebugs appearing in March this year. So I hope its not too late already.
              WH

Comment

There's a huge difference in being watered in and applying it to an already saturated lawn. My grass guy just called and said to wait til I'm out of the heavy watering period to put it down.
                Last edited by slow99; 04-29-2015, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X