Trash can and fly issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trash can and fly issue

So, I just ordered a new trash can for the house a month ago and when I open it up this past couple of weeks a sworm of flys come flying up and it's pissing me off. This morning i went to put the trash can by the curb and had to throw something in it and when i opened it there were hundreds of maggots were all over the walls inside and a couple outside on top of the lid.

What can i do to besides lighting it up on fire to kill these flys??

Put garbage in trash bags before in the can.

Comment

spray it down with a water hose.

wash it with soap

let dry

empty a can of gas on it and set it on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
        Put garbage in trash bags before in the can.
        Yes all my trash go in trash bags and if there is any sort of meat left over we put that in a grocery bag and tie it up and place it in the trash before going in the trash can.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          spray it down with a water hose.

wash it with soap

let dry

empty a can of gas on it and set it on fire.
          I was ready to do that this morning but i was running late to work.

Comment

Bleach it. Seems odd for that to happen with how you are prepping the waste.

Comment

I'd use a 10% bleach solution in a generic spray bottle and hose it down every time you think about it. I also put protein wrappers in a plastic shopping bag and freeze them, then put them in the garbage the morning of trash pickup.

If you think the flies are bad wait until you get a raccoon in your garbage. It'll be all over your yard, with flies and ants.

Comment

Yeah the reason for my new trash can is because i left it open one night last month and something crawled in it and i closed it up the next day. We went on a week vacation and when i came back it was a god awful smell of a dead cat. So the city came out and swapped it for a new one.

But, yeah I will try the bleach solution today when i get home. Thats why im going nuts on why this new trash can is getting flys... I am trying to tie up everything to avoid this.

Nothing like some dry heaving in the morning to wake you up at the site of maggots...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                  Bleach it. Seems odd for that to happen with how you are prepping the waste.
                  thanks for the tips guys

Comment

Bleach cures a lot of sanitation/mold/odor...etc issues. It's cheap enough I don't even dilute it usually. I have a gnat problem in my shop with the empty beer cans in a trash bag. A little bleach sprayed around reduces them quite a bit.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Our dumpster is bad at our restaurant. I spray livestock fly spray in a pump up sprayer daily and I think it makes them breed faster. I just used the rest this morning and will get a different brand next time.
                      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I had a recent batch and just hit it with some Raid. This is in a standard sized can though, not the big automated cans that cities provide.

Comment

Working...
                        X